The Minnesota Timberwolves (33-22) can extend an 11-game home winning streak when they meet the New Orleans Pelicans (28-23) at Target Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 220.5 points with Minnesota opening as a 7.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Minnesota Timberwolves Odds Preview
In the Pelicans last matchup, they were victorious over the Oklahoma City Thunder, 114-100. Anthony Davis was the top scorer from either team with 43 points on 17-for-34 shooting. New Orleans launched 24 three pointers, making 13 of them (54.2 percent). Oklahoma City, on the other hand, was 9-36 (25.0 percent).
The Timberwolves come in on a high note after dismantling the Milwaukee Bucks in their last matchup, 108-89. Minnesota’s Karl-Anthony Towns played a key role with 24 points and 11 rebounds. The Timberwolves, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.521, had a great mark of 0.583 and had a better turnover percentage (13.0 vs. 13.5).
Minnesota figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Timberwolves rank third in offensive efficiency, while New Orleans ranks 20th in defensive efficiency. It will also be a showdown of conflicting styles as the up-and-down Pelicans rank second in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Timberwolves rank 23rd.
Of New Orleans 50 games that accepted bets, 30 have finished over the projected point total, while 27 of Minnesota’s 55 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Pelicans are 28-23 SU and 26-24 ATS, while the Timberwolves are 33-22 SU and 27-25-3 ATS.
These two teams have already met three times this season, with the Timberwolves winning all three. Towns had 21 points and 16 rebounds in the most recent contest, in which the Timberwolves beat the Pelicans 116-98, covering as 1.5-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 214 points, which was just 4 points below the projected point total of 218 points. The Timberwolves dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 29.5 and a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 8.3. For those same stats, the Pelicans were 17.1 and 14.2, respectively.
New Orleans Pelicans at Minnesota Timberwolves ATS Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Under
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.5) while the Timberwolves rank 22nd in assists allowed per game (24.1).
- New Orleans ranks 13th in three pointers attempted per game (29.3) while Minnesota ranks 29th (22.0).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (50.0) while Minnesota ranks 20th in points allowed in the paint per game (45.6).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.2) while Minnesota ranks 10th (4.6).
- New Orleans is 15-10 ATS on the road with 13 unders and 12 overs.
- Minnesota is 14-12-1 ATS at home with 13 overs, 13 unders and 1 push.
- New Orleans is 8-1 when they allow less than 100 points, while Minnesota is 16-4.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Pelicans are 26-16 and the Timberwolves are 31-13.
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.2) while the Pelicans rank 22nd (44.1).
- Minnesota ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.3) while New Orleans ranks 26th (8.4).
- The Timberwolves rank second in second chance points per game (14.4) while the Pelicans rank 25th in second chance points allowed per game (13.5).
- The Pelicans average 13.0 fast break points per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. The Timberwolves rank 24th in fast break points allowed per game (13.2).
- Minnesota ranks third in points off turnovers per game (18.5) while New Orleans ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0).
- Minnesota is 3-1-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Timberwolves’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, down from 3.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 107.2 points per game (3.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 107.0 points per game (3.5 below their season average).