The Houston Rockets (20-4) and the New Orleans Pelicans (14-13) battle at Toyota Center. The Rockets will try to prolong their nine-game winning streak. Houston opened as a 12-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 226.5 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 11, 2017, and it can be seen on NBATV.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Houston Rockets ATS Preview
The Pelicans defeated the Philadelphia 76ers in their last contest, 131-124. With 29 points, eight rebounds and five blocks, Anthony Davis had a good game for New Orleans. New Orleans played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.669 (above their season average of 0.545) and a free throw rate of 0.300 (above their season average of 0.188). For those same stats, Philadelphia was 0.505 and 0.281, respectively.
The last time the Rockets played, they beat the Portland Trail Blazers, 124-117. Houston rallied around James Harden, who was the games leading scorer with 48 points on 16-for-29 shooting. Houston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.453 (above their season average of 0.234) and a turnover percentage of 11.4 (better than their season average of 14.2). Portland was 0.102 and 13.9, respectively, for those same stats.
The productive offense of Houston (second in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 113.4) will battle against the porous defense of New Orleans (21st in the league with a defensive efficiency of 107.8). The Rockets should have the edge on that side of the ball. Additionally, put-back points could be few and far between for the Pelicans. They rank 22nd in the league in offensive rebounding percentage at 20.2 percent, while the Rockets are the best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 81.7 percent).
Of New Orleans 27 games, 16 have finished over the O/U total, while 13 of Houston’s 24 games have finished under the projected point total. The Rockets have the superior straight up (SU) record (20-4 vs. 14-13), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. Houston is 14-10, while New Orleans is 15-12 ATS.
Jrue Holiday has been impressive over the last five games for New Orleans, averaging 20.6 points and 5.0 assists per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Rockets won three out of four games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Houston won 117-107. The Rockets dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 and a free throw rate of 0.161. For those same stats, the Pelicans were 12.0 and 0.121, respectively.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Houston Rockets Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank fourth in points off turnovers per game (19.5) while the Pelicans rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- Houston ranks 12th in fast break points per game (11.5) while New Orleans ranks 27th in fast break points allowed per game (13.7).
- Houston ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (40.3) while New Orleans ranks 21st (43.9).
- On the road, New Orleans is 8-5 ATS with 7 overs and 6 unders.
- At home, Houston is 5-6 ATS with 6 unders and 5 overs.
- New Orleans is 4-0 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Houston is 9-1.
- The Rockets are 20-2 when they score over 100 points, while the Pelicans are 12-8.
- The Rockets rank seventh in second chance points allowed per game (11.2) while the Pelicans rank 25th (13.4).
- Houston averages 9.4 steals per game, which ranks third in the league. New Orleans ranks 27th in steals allowed per game (8.8).
- The Rockets rank first in three pointers attempted per game (43.2) while the Pelicans rank 24th in three pointers allowed per game (30.9).
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.1) while the Rockets rank 14th (22.7).
- New Orleans averages 51.3 points in the paint per game, which ranks second in the NBA. Houston ranks 25th in points allowed in the paint per game (46.1).
- Houston is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.2, up from 11.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 120.2 points per game (10.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 119.0 points per game (8.0 above their season average).