The Utah Jazz (16-21) will be at home in Vivint Smart Home Arena when they meet the New Orleans Pelicans (18-18). Utah is a 1.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 209.5 points. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
New Orleans Pelicans at Utah Jazz Free Preview
The Pelicans lost a tough one against the New York Knicks in their last contest, 105-103. New Orleans DeMarcus Cousins finished with 29 points and 19 rebounds in the contest. New York held the Pelicans to an offensive rebounding percentage of 8.7 (below their season average of 20.0). New Orleans, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (21-27; 77.8 percent).
In the Jazz’s last matchup, they defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers, 104-101. Utah was lifted by Donovan Mitchell, who was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 10-for-17 shooting. The Jazz forced 15 turnovers and held the Cavaliers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.494 (below their season average of 0.555).
It will be a battle of contrasting styles as the up-tempo Pelicans will look to push the more half-court-oriented Jazz. The Pelicans rank fifth in possessions per game while the Jazz are 25th.
Of New Orleans 36 games, 22 have finished over the projected point total, while 19 of Utah’s 37 games have finished under the projected point total. The Pelicans have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (18-18 vs. 16-21) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (20-16 vs. 19-18).
Derrick Favors has really been playing well over the last five games for Utah, averaging 14.2 points and 7.0 rebounds per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 222 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 204.5. The Jazz won 114-108, covering as 3.5-point underdogs. The Jazz played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.212 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.2. For those same stats, the Pelicans had marks of 0.103 and 13.6, respectively. Mitchell was the games leading scorer with 41 points.
New Orleans Pelicans at Utah Jazz Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank seventh in three pointers allowed per game (26.7) while the Pelicans rank 28th (31.3).
- New Orleans ranks 17th in rebounds per game (42.8) while Utah ranks 26th (40.5).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (50.6) while Utah ranks 22nd (41.2).
- On the road, New Orleans is 11-7 ATS with 10 overs and 8 unders.
- Utah is 13-6 ATS at home with 12 unders and 7 overs.
- New Orleans is 6-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Utah is 10-2.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Jazz are 14-9 and the Pelicans are 16-13.
- The Jazz average 17.5 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 10th in the league. The Pelicans rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.2) while New Orleans ranks 28th in steals allowed per game (8.7).
- The Jazz rank third in fast break points allowed per game (9.2) while the Pelicans rank 28th (14.0).
- The Jazz rank 23rd in second chance points per game (10.7) while the Pelicans rank 24th in second chance points allowed per game (13.4).
- Utah ranks second in assists allowed per game (19.9) while New Orleans ranks 24th (24.0).
- Utah is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Jazz’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 0.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 114.2 points per game (3.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 107.4 points per game (3.8 below their season average).