The Sacramento Kings (20-44) will try to put an end to the nine-game winning streak of New Orleans when they welcome the Pelicans (37-26) to Golden 1 Center. New Orleans opened as a 5.5-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 224 points. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports – California.
New Orleans Pelicans at Sacramento Kings Betting Preview
The Pelicans were victorious over the Los Angeles Clippers in their last game, 121-116. Anthony Davis was the game’s leading scorer with 41 points on 17-for-31 shooting. The Pelicans had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 13.2) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.510 vs. 0.505).
The last time the Kings played, they defeated the New York Knicks, 102-99. With 22 points on 7-for-11 shooting, Bogdan Bogdanovic led Sacramento in scoring. The Kings had a turnover percentage of 10.8 (better than their season average of 12.7) and held the Knicks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.489 (below the 0.549 mark opponents have averaged against Sacramento this season).
Sacramento may have trouble getting to the foul line in this matchup. The Kings rank 30th in the NBA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.144, while New Orleans ranks eighth in FTA rate allowed (0.182). It will also be a showdown of contrasting tempos as the up-and-down Pelicans rank second in possessions per game, while the more methodical Kings rank 25th.
Of New Orleans’ 62 games that accepted bets, 39 have finished over the projected point total, while 35 of Sacramento’s 64 games have finished over the projected point total. The Pelicans come into this game with a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 37-26 SU and 34-28 ATS, while the Kings are 20-44 SU and 29-32-3 ATS.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Pelicans, it’s been Davis, who has averaged 34.8 points, 15.2 rebounds, 3.0 blocks and 2.6 steals, while the Kings have gotten solid contributions from Bogdanovic (16.8 points and 3.4 assists).
These two teams have already met three times this season, with the Kings leading the series two games to one. In the most recent matchup, the Pelicans lost 114-103, unable to cover as 10-point favorites. Davis recorded 23 points, 13 rebounds and six blocks. The two teams combined to score 217 points, which was just 1 points above the projected point total of 216 points. Sacramento had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (29.2 vs. 5.4). New Orleans, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (16-22; 72.7 percent).
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Sacramento Kings Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Kings rank 11th in second chance points allowed per game (11.9) while the Pelicans rank 28th (13.5).
- Sacramento averages 8.3 steals per game, which ranks seventh in the league. New Orleans ranks 21st in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- New Orleans ranks 13th in rebounds per game (44.0) while Sacramento ranks 29th (40.4).
- Sacramento averages 15.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 22nd in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 23rd in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.6).
- New Orleans is 21-12 ATS on the road, while Sacramento is 14-17 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 17 of the Pelicans’ 33 road games, while 18 of the Kings’ 31 home games have gone over.
- In games where they hold opponents below 100 points, New Orleans is 8-1 and Sacramento is 12-5.
- When scoring above 100 points, the Kings are 15-17 and the Pelicans are 35-18.
- The Pelicans average 14.1 fast break points per game, which ranks sixth in the league. The Kings rank 21st in fast break points allowed per game (12.5).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.6) while Sacramento ranks 27th (21.3).
- The Pelicans rank third in blocks per game (5.6) while the Kings rank 25th (4.1).
- The Pelicans rank 15th in three pointers attempted per game (29.2) while the Kings rank 29th in three pointers allowed per game (31.9).
- Sacramento ranks sixth in points allowed in the paint per game (42.4) while New Orleans ranks 26th (47.7).
- Sacramento is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 4-1 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Kings’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.8, down from 7.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 123.2 points per game (10.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 115.6 points per game (3.9 above their season average).