The Portland Trail Blazers (13-9), the NBA’s top shooting defense, will challenge the New Orleans Pelicans (11-11) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 208 points with Portland set as a 3.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 2, 2017.
New Orleans Pelicans at Portland Trail Blazers Odds Preview
In the Pelicans last outing, they fell to the Utah Jazz, 114-108. DeMarcus Cousins put together a solid game for New Orleans, leading the team in scoring with 23 points on 8-for-21 shooting. Utah did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (18-25; 72.0 percent). New Orleans, meanwhile, made 15 of their 30 three pointers (50.0 percent).
The Trail Blazers are trying to rebound after their 103-91 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks in their last matchup. Jusuf Nurkic was Portland’s high scorer with 25 points on 9-for-17 shooting. Milwaukee had a turnover percentage of 9.7 (better than their season average of 13.0). Portland, on the other hand, held the Bucks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 11.1 (below their season average of 17.8).
Looking at effective field goal percentage, this appears to be a matchup of two heavyweights. The upper-echelon New Orleans offense ranks fifth in the league in that metric at 0.539, while the top-notch Portland defense is ranked first in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.483).
Of New Orleans 21 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished under the O/U total, while 16 of Portland’s 22 games have finished under the projected point total. The Trail Blazers hold the significant advantage straight up (SU) (13-9 vs. 11-11), but the Pelicans have the better against the spread (ATS) record (12-9 vs. 8-11-3).
Nurkic has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Portland, averaging 16.4 points, 9.4 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 196 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 216.5. The Trail Blazers won 103-93, covering as 5-point favorites. Portland had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (32.1 vs. 8.2). New Orleans, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.454 vs. 0.432). In the loss, Cousins had a double-double with 39 points and 13 rebounds.
New Orleans Pelicans at Portland Trail Blazers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Pelicans rank sixth in blocks allowed per game (4.3) while the Trail Blazers rank 26th (5.9).
- New Orleans ranks 16th in points off turnovers per game (17.6) while Portland ranks 27th (14.7).
- Portland ranks second in three pointers allowed per game (24.8) while New Orleans ranks 22nd (30.5).
- Portland ranks 16th in second chance points per game (12.0) while New Orleans ranks 20th in second chance points allowed per game (12.9).
- Portland is 3-7-2 ATS at home, while New Orleans is 7-4 ATS on the road.
- Of the Pelicans 11 road games, they have 6 unders and 5 overs.
- The Trail Blazers have 10 unders and 2 overs in 12 home games.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Portland is 9-3 and New Orleans is 4-0.
- The Pelicans are 9-6 when they reach the century mark, while the Trail Blazers are 11-3.
- The Trail Blazers average 47.3 rebounds per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 20th in rebounds allowed per game (44.0).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.0) while Portland ranks last (18.1).
- The Pelicans rank second in points in the paint per game (51.4) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (40.6).
- The Pelicans rank 17th in steals per game (7.8) while the Trail Blazers rank 26th (6.7).
- Portland ranks fourth in fast break points allowed per game (8.5) while New Orleans ranks 25th (13.0).
- Portland is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 3.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 3.7 points.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 105.4 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.0 points per game (4.1 below their season average).