The Orlando Magic (11-21), who are currently riding a six-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the New Orleans Pelicans (15-16) to Amway Center. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Florida.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Orlando Magic Betting Preview
The Pelicans were beaten by the Washington Wizards in their last matchup, 116-106. With 37 points on 11-for-21 shooting, Anthony Davis was the top scorer from either team. Washington made 14 of their 35 three pointers (40.0 percent). New Orleans, on the other hand, did a great job of getting and making free throws (33-40; 82.5 percent).
The last time the Magic played, they were topped by the Chicago Bulls, 112-94. Nikola Vucevic was the game’s high scorer with 18 points on 8-for-21 shooting. Chicago held the Magic to an offensive rebounding percentage of 12.5 (below their season average of 19.1). Orlando, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (19-23; 82.6 percent).
Orlando may have difficulty getting to the free throw line in this contest. The Magic rank 26th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.177, while New Orleans ranks seventh in FTA rate allowed (0.180).
Of New Orleans’ 31 games, 20 have finished over the projected point total, while 16 of Orlando’s 32 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Pelicans have a significant advantage. They are 15-16 SU and 17-14 ATS, while the Magic are 11-21 SU and 12-19-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Pelicans, it’s been Jrue Holiday, who has averaged 25.2 points, 5.8 assists and 2.0 steals, while the Magic have received solid contributions from Vucevic (23.2 points, 14.0 rebounds, 4.6 assists, 2.0 blocks and 1.6 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 214 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 222.5. The Magic won 115-99, covering as 8-point underdogs. Orlando made 16 of its 34 three pointers (47.1 percent). New Orleans, meanwhile, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (19.6 vs. 15.0). Davis finished with 39 points and 10 rebounds.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Orlando Magic Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Magic, ATS Winner – Magic, O/U – Over
- The Magic rank 12th in fast break points per game (11.1) while the Pelicans rank 27th in fast break points allowed per game (14.2).
- Orlando ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (8.2) while New Orleans ranks 27th (9.2).
- New Orleans ranks 15th in second chance points per game (12.1) while Orlando ranks 26th (10.0).
- New Orleans averages 4.6 blocks per game, which ranks 16th in the NBA. Orlando ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.1).
- On the road, New Orleans is 9-7 ATS with 10 overs and 6 unders.
- At home, Orlando is 4-10 ATS with 8 unders and 6 overs.
- Orlando is 5-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while New Orleans is 4-0.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Pelicans are 13-11 and the Magic are 11-11.
- The Pelicans average 43.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 17th in the NBA. The Magic rank 27th in rebounds allowed per game (46.4).
- New Orleans averages 50.7 points in the paint per game, which ranks second in the league. Orlando ranks 28th in points allowed in the paint per game (48.6).
- The Pelicans average 26.5 assists per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Magic rank 28th in assists allowed per game (25.1).
- The Magic rank 21st in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0) while the Pelicans rank 27th (19.3).
- Orlando ranks seventh in three pointers allowed per game (26.7) while New Orleans ranks 26th (31.5).
- Orlando is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 3-2 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Magic’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.4, up from 4.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 117.2 points per game (6.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 119.0 points per game (7.2 above their season average).