The Oklahoma City Thunder (30-22) can extend a five-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head against the New Orleans Pelicans (27-23) at Chesapeake Energy Arena. Oklahoma City opened as a 6.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 220 points. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Friday, February 2, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
New Orleans Pelicans at Oklahoma City Thunder Betting Preview
The Pelicans lost to the Sacramento Kings in their last matchup, 114-103. With 23 points on 6-for-16 shooting, Anthony Davis was New Orleans leading scorer. Sacramento had an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.2 (above their season average of 21.4). New Orleans, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (16-22; 72.7 percent).
The last time the Thunder played, they were defeated by the Denver Nuggets, 127-124. With 20 points, 21 assists and nine rebounds, Russell Westbrook put together a solid game for Oklahoma City. Denver held the Thunder to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.9 (below their season average of 28.4). Oklahoma City, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 6.2 (better than their season average of 12.2).
The high-powered offense of Oklahoma City (ninth in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 107.9) will battle against the mid-tier defense of New Orleans (22nd in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 107.7). The Thunder should have the advantage on that side of the ball. It could also be a sloppy game for the offense of the Pelicans, which ranks 24th in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.9 percent). They’ll be going up against the stingy defense of the Thunder, which forces the third-most turnovers in the NBA (15.5 percent).
Of New Orleans 50 games, 30 have finished over the projected point total, while 28 of Oklahoma City’s 51 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have respectable straight up (SU) records (27-23 for New Orleans; 30-22 for Oklahoma City), but the Pelicans have the advantage against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 26-24 ATS, while the Thunder are 21-29-1.
Paul George has really been playing well over the last five games for Oklahoma City, averaging 26.2 points and 2.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 221 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 213. The Pelicans won 114-107, covering as 2.5-point underdogs. The Pelicans dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.313 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.556. For those same stats, the Thunder put up marks of 0.225 and 0.489, respectively. Davis recorded a double-double with 36 points and 15 rebounds.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Odds Prediction
NBA Pick: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Thunder average 14.3 fast break points per game, which ranks fourth in the league. The Pelicans rank 27th in fast break points allowed per game (13.9).
- Oklahoma City ranks fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while New Orleans ranks 22nd (46.2).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.4) while Oklahoma City ranks 22nd (21.2).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while Oklahoma City ranks seventh (4.5).
- On the road, New Orleans is 15-10 ATS with 13 unders and 12 overs.
- At home, Oklahoma City is 11-14-1 ATS with 14 unders and 12 overs.
- Oklahoma City is 17-5 when they allow less than 100 points, while New Orleans is 8-1.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Pelicans are 25-16 and the Thunder are 26-10.
- The Thunder rank second in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while the Pelicans rank 21st (44.0).
- Oklahoma City ranks first in steals per game (9.3) while New Orleans ranks 26th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- The Thunder average 14.9 second chance points per game, which ranks first in the league. The Pelicans rank 25th in second chance points allowed per game (13.4).
- The Thunder rank 15th in three pointers attempted per game (29.1) while the Pelicans rank 29th in three pointers allowed per game (31.3).
- Oklahoma City ranks second in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while New Orleans ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.9).
- Oklahoma City is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Thunder’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 110.8 points per game (0.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 112.6 points per game (1.9 above their season average).