Southwest Division foes will battle when the Memphis Grizzlies (12-27) challenge the New Orleans Pelicans (20-19) at FedExForum. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 210 points with New Orleans set as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 10, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
New Orleans Pelicans at Memphis Grizzlies Odds Preview
The Pelicans barely escaped the Detroit Pistons in their last contest, 112-109. Anthony Davis was the games leading scorer with 30 points on 12-for-14 shooting. New Orleans 0.598 effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Detroit, who had a mark of 0.484. The Pelicans mark was above their season average of 0.554.
The last time the Grizzlies played, they were beaten by the Washington Wizards, 102-100. With 17 points, 11 rebounds and five assists, Marc Gasol had a good outing for Memphis. Washington did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (26-34; 76.5 percent). Memphis, on the other hand, held the Wizards to an effective field goal percentage of 0.452 (below their season average of 0.519).
New Orleans figures to have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Pelicans rank sixth in offensive efficiency, while Memphis ranks 20th in defensive efficiency.
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. New Orleans games have finished over 59.0 percent of the time, while games including Memphis have finished under 61.5 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Pelicans have a substantial advantage. They are 20-19 SU and 21-18 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 12-27 SU and 14-23-2 ATS.
Tyreke Evans has really been playing well over the last five games for Memphis, averaging 24.6 points, 6.4 assists, 5.4 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 194 points, which was under the projected point total of 204.5. The Grizzlies won 103-91, covering as 2-point favorites. The Grizzlies 9.5 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Pelicans, who had a mark of 16.4. Mike Conley had a standout performance in the victory, producing 27 points and five rebounds.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Memphis Grizzlies ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Under
- The Grizzlies average 13.4 fast break points per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Pelicans rank 27th in fast break points allowed per game (13.9).
- New Orleans ranks 18th in rebounds per game (42.6) while Memphis ranks 29th (39.8).
- Memphis ranks 10th in three pointers allowed per game (27.4) while New Orleans ranks 25th (30.8).
- New Orleans ranks 18th in second chance points per game (11.8) while Memphis ranks 25th (10.4).
- On the road, New Orleans is 12-8 ATS with 10 overs and 10 unders.
- Memphis is 6-13-1 ATS at home with 15 unders and 5 overs.
- When allowing under 100 points, Memphis is 9-8 and New Orleans is 7-0.
- The Grizzlies are 7-9 when they score above 100 points, while the Pelicans are 18-13.
- The Grizzlies rank 13th in points off turnovers per game (17.1) while the Pelicans rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.6) while Memphis ranks 27th (20.7).
- The Grizzlies rank fourth in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Pelicans rank 27th (8.7).
- The Pelicans rank 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while the Grizzlies rank 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Memphis ranks third in points allowed in the paint per game (40.4) while New Orleans ranks 25th (46.4).
- Memphis is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Grizzlies have outscored opponents by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. For the season, Memphis has lost by an average of 3.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 108.2 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 111.2 points per game (0.3 above their season average).