The Los Angeles Clippers (34-28) will try to put an end to the eight-game winning streak of New Orleans when they welcome the Pelicans (36-26) to Staples Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 237.5 points with Los Angeles set as a 3-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 6, 2018, and it can be seen on TNT.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Los Angeles Clippers Odds Preview
The last time the Pelicans played, they were victorious over the Dallas Mavericks, 126-109. With 23 points and 13 rebounds, New Orleans Anthony Davis had a good game. The Pelicans, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.542, had a ridiculous mark of 0.604 and had a turnover percentage of 9.9 (better than their season average of 13.2).
The Clippers will look to keep it rolling after narrowly defeating the Brooklyn Nets in their last contest, 123-120. DeAndre Jordan had a solid performance for Los Angeles, recording 17 points and 15 rebounds. Los Angeles dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.298 (above their season average of 0.225) and a turnover percentage of 9.3 (better than their season average of 12.9). For those same stats, Brooklyn was 0.228 and 12.1, respectively.
The high-octane offense of Los Angeles (seventh in the league with an offensive efficiency of 108.5) will square off against the mid-tier defense of New Orleans (18th in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 107.4). The Clippers should have the edge on that end of the court.
Of New Orleans 62 games, 39 have finished over the projected point total, while 33 of Los Angeles 62 games have finished over the O/U total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Pelicans are 36-26 SU and 34-28 ATS, while the Clippers are 34-28 SU and 35-26-1 ATS.
Davis has taken his game to another level as of late for New Orleans, averaging 38.6 points, 15.6 rebounds, 2.8 blocks and 2.6 steals over the last five games.
These two teams have met twice already this season, each winning once. In the most recent matchup, Blake Griffin scored a game-high 27 points and the Clippers beat the Pelicans 112-103, covering as 1.5-point underdogs. He also recorded 12 rebounds and seven assists. The two teams combined for 215 points, which was 11 points below the projected point total of 226 points. The Clippers played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.6 and a turnover percentage of 10.4. The Pelicans had marks of 15.2 and 13.5, respectively, for those same stats.
New Orleans Pelicans at Los Angeles Clippers Free Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Clippers, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Clippers rank eighth in second chance points per game (13.1) while the Pelicans rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (13.6).
- Los Angeles ranks 14th in steals per game (8.0) while New Orleans ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- New Orleans ranks second in assists per game (26.4) while Los Angeles ranks 21st in assists allowed per game (24.0).
- Los Angeles averages 28.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 18th in the league. New Orleans ranks 27th in three pointers allowed per game (30.8).
- New Orleans is 21-12 ATS on the road, while Los Angeles is 15-16 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 17 of the Pelicans 33 road games, while 17 of the Clippers 31 home games have gone over.
- In games where they allow less than 100 points, New Orleans is 8-1 and Los Angeles is 11-2.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Clippers are 32-18 and the Pelicans are 34-18.
- The Clippers average 16.6 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Pelicans rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.7).
- Los Angeles averages 50.5 points in the paint per game, which ranks third in the league. New Orleans ranks 26th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.4).
- The Pelicans rank seventh in fast break points per game (14.0) while the Clippers rank last in fast break points allowed per game (15.1).
- The Clippers rank 15th in rebounds per game (43.7) while the Pelicans rank 25th in rebounds allowed per game (45.1).
- New Orleans ranks third in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while Los Angeles ranks 24th (5.3).
- Los Angeles is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 4-1 ATS with 5 overs.
- The Clippers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.2, up from 1.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 123.8 points per game (11.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 117.0 points per game (5.4 above their season average).