The Detroit Pistons (27-28) will be at home in Little Caesars Arena when they take on the New Orleans Pelicans (29-26). Detroit is a 4.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 218 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
New Orleans Pelicans at Detroit Pistons Free Preview
The Pelicans were victorious over the Brooklyn Nets in their last outing, 138-128. Anthony Davis was the top scorer from either team with 44 points on 16-for-35 shooting. The Pelicans had a free throw rate of 0.236 (above their season average of 0.195) and held the Nets to an effective field goal percentage of 0.469 (below the 0.524 mark opponents have averaged against New Orleans this season).
In the Pistons last matchup, they were beaten by the Atlanta Hawks, 118-115. Andre Drummond was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Atlanta did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (32-37; 86.5 percent). Detroit, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.9 (above their season average of 22.3).
New Orleans could struggle to create turnovers. Detroit ranks seventh in the NBA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.2 percent), while New Orleans forces the 20th-most turnovers (13.5 percent). Contrasting styles will be on display in this showdown. The up-and-down Pelicans rank second in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Pistons rank 21st.
Of New Orleans 55 games, 33 have finished over the O/U total, while 29 of Detroit’s 54 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (29-26 for New Orleans; 27-28 for Detroit), but the Pelicans hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). New Orleans is 28-27 ATS, while the Pistons are 26-26-2.
Drummond has been impressive over the last five games for Detroit, averaging 19.2 rebounds, 16.6 points, 2.6 blocks and 2.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 221 points, which was over the projected point total of 211. The Pelicans won 112-109, but were unable to cover as 7-point favorites. New Orleans 0.598 effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Detroit, who had a mark of 0.484. Davis recorded a double-double with 30 points and 10 rebounds.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Detroit Pistons Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Pistons rank fifth in second chance points allowed per game (11.0) while the Pelicans rank 28th (13.8).
- Detroit ranks 15th in three pointers allowed per game (29.4) while New Orleans ranks 29th (31.5).
- Detroit ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.6) while New Orleans ranks 25th (18.1).
- Detroit ranks 20th in rebounds per game (42.6) while New Orleans ranks 24th in rebounds allowed per game (44.8).
- Detroit is 12-16-1 ATS at home, while New Orleans is 17-12 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 15 of the Pelicans 29 road games, while 15 of the Pistons 29 home games have gone over.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, New Orleans is 8-1 and Detroit is 13-6.
- The Pelicans are 27-18 when they reach 100 points, while the Pistons are 24-13.
- The Pistons rank seventh in steals allowed per game (7.1) while the Pelicans rank 26th (8.4).
- Detroit ranks second in fast break points allowed per game (8.8) while New Orleans ranks 27th (14.1).
- The Pelicans average 26.2 assists per game, which ranks second in the league. The Pistons rank 27th in assists allowed per game (24.5).
- The Pelicans rank second in points in the paint per game (50.2) while the Pistons rank 14th (44.5).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.3) while Detroit ranks 29th (3.7).
- Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pistons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.4, up from 0.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 110.0 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 115.8 points per game (4.6 above their season average).