The Boston Celtics (34-10) welcome the New Orleans Pelicans (22-20) to TD Garden. The Celtics will attempt to extend their seven-game winning streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 214 points with Boston opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
New Orleans Pelicans at Boston Celtics Odds Preview
In the Pelicans last game, they beat the New York Knicks, 123-118. Anthony Davis was the games leading scorer with 48 points on 17-for-30 shooting. New Orleans played a nearly perfect game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.253 (above their season average of 0.201) and a turnover percentage of 14.7 (worse than their season average of 14.1). For those same stats, New York was 0.144 and 17.3, respectively.
The Celtics hope to maintain momentum after beating the Philadelphia 76ers in their last contest, 114-103. Boston rallied around Marcus Morris, who finished with 19 points and eight rebounds. Boston played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.4 (above their season average of 21.0) and a turnover percentage of 15.6 (worse than their season average of 12.3). Philadelphia recorded marks of 7.9 and 17.4, respectively, for those same stats.
New Orleans could have a difficult time creating turnovers. Boston ranks eighth in the league at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 13.6 percent), while New Orleans forces the sixth-fewest turnovers (13.5 percent). Opposite styles will be on display in this battle. The up-tempo Pelicans rank fifth in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Celtics rank 24th.
Of New Orleans 42 games, 25 have finished over the O/U total, while 23 of Boston’s 44 games have finished under the O/U total. The Celtics come into this game with a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 34-10 SU and 27-15-2 ATS, while the Pelicans are 22-20 SU and 23-19 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Celtics won the most recent matchup 117-108. Boston out-rebounded New Orleans. The Celtics had more offensive rebounds (15 vs. nine) and total rebounds (47 vs. 42).
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Boston Celtics ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Celtics rank second in assists allowed per game (19.8) while the Pelicans rank 23rd (24.0).
- Boston ranks seventh in three pointers attempted per game (31.1) while New Orleans ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (30.9).
- Boston ranks fifth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.9) while New Orleans ranks 25th (18.4).
- Boston ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while New Orleans ranks seventh (4.3).
- Boston is 13-8-2 ATS at home, while New Orleans is 13-9 ATS on the road.
- Of the Pelicans 22 road games, they have 11 overs and 11 unders.
- In 23 home games, the Celtics have 12 overs and 11 unders.
- New Orleans is 7-0 when they allow less than 100 points, while Boston is 24-1.
- When reaching 100 points, the Celtics are 24-4 and the Pelicans are 20-14.
- The Celtics rank fifth in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while the Pelicans rank 25th (13.4).
- New Orleans ranks second in points in the paint per game (50.4) while Boston ranks 28th (39.6).
- The Celtics rank third in steals allowed per game (6.9) while the Pelicans rank 27th (8.9).
- The Celtics average 44.5 rebounds per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 17th in rebounds allowed per game (43.4).
- Boston ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (9.1) while New Orleans ranks 27th (13.8).
- Boston is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, up from 5.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 110.8 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 112.2 points per game (1.2 above their season average).