The Atlanta Hawks (12-31) will be at home in Philips Arena when they meet the New Orleans Pelicans (23-20). New Orleans is a 3-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 220 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
New Orleans Pelicans at Atlanta Hawks Odds Preview
The Pelicans barely escaped the Boston Celtics in their last contest, 116-113. Anthony Davis was the top scorer from either team with 45 points on 16-for-34 shooting. New Orleans dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.190 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 11.9 (better than their season average of 14.1). For those same stats, Boston was 0.139 and 14.3, respectively.
In the Hawks last matchup, they topped the San Antonio Spurs, 102-99. With 26 points on 10-for-20 shooting, Dennis Schroder was the games leading scorer. The Hawks held the Spurs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.0 (below their season average of 23.2) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.471 (below the 0.542 mark opponents have averaged against Atlanta this season).
New Orleans could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their sweet-shooting offense goes up against one of the worst defenses in the NBA. The Pelicans currently rank second in effective field goal percentage (0.553), while Atlanta ranks 29th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.540).
Of New Orleans 42 games with betting action, 25 have finished over the O/U total, while 21 of Atlanta’s 43 games have finished over the projected point total. The Pelicans have the better straight up (SU) record (23-20 vs. 12-31), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. New Orleans is 23-19 ATS, while Atlanta is 23-18-2 ATS.
Jrue Holiday has taken his game to another level over the last five games for New Orleans, averaging 19.0 points, 5.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 2.8 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 211 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 217. The Pelicans won 106-105, but were unable to cover as 10-point favorites. New Orleans had a better free throw rate (0.147 vs. 0.092). Atlanta, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (15.0 vs. 18.7). Kent Bazemore had a stellar game with 22 points and seven assists.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Atlanta Hawks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Pelicans, O/U – Over
- The Hawks average 8.4 steals per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 26th in steals allowed per game (8.8).
- New Orleans averages 5.1 blocks per game, which ranks 12th in the NBA. Atlanta ranks 22nd in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Atlanta ranks 11th in second chance points per game (13.0) while New Orleans ranks 25th in second chance points allowed per game (13.6).
- New Orleans ranks 18th in rebounds per game (42.9) while Atlanta ranks 25th (40.9).
- New Orleans is 13-9 ATS on the road with 11 overs and 11 unders.
- Atlanta is 11-9 ATS at home with 11 overs, 8 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, New Orleans is 7-0 and Atlanta is 5-3.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Pelicans are 21-14 and the Hawks are 12-18.
- The Pelicans average 29.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. The Hawks rank 25th in three pointers allowed per game (30.9).
- New Orleans averages 26.3 assists per game, which ranks second in the league. Atlanta ranks 29th in assists allowed per game (25.6).
- The Pelicans rank second in points in the paint per game (50.4) while the Hawks rank 26th (41.0).
- The Pelicans rank 10th in fast break points per game (13.0) while the Hawks rank 19th in fast break points allowed per game (12.0).
- Atlanta ranks third in points off turnovers per game (18.8) while New Orleans ranks 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.3).
- Atlanta is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 1.8, down from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pelicans have scored an average of 114.4 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 111.6 points per game (0.5 above their season average).