Southwest Division foes will collide when the Dallas Mavericks (1-8) go head-to-head against the New Orleans Pelicans (3-5) at American Airlines Center. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 213 points with New Orleans opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at at 8:30 p.m. ET on Friday, November 3, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – New Orleans.
New Orleans Pelicans at Dallas Mavericks Odds Preview
In the Pelicans’ last outing, they fell to the Minnesota Timberwolves, 104-98. With 35 points on 10-for-21 shooting, DeMarcus Cousins was the game’s high scorer. Minnesota had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.5 vs. 20.0). New Orleans, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (18-21; 85.7 percent).
The last time the Mavericks played, they were defeated by the Los Angeles Clippers, 119-98. With 13 points and eight rebounds, Dirk Nowitzki had a good performance for Dallas. Los Angeles did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (24-29; 82.8 percent). Dallas, meanwhile, forced the Clippers into a turnover percentage of 15.1 (above their season average of 12.0).
Points at the line could be few and far between for Dallas in this showdown. Since the 2016-17 season, the Mavericks rank 28th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.181, while New Orleans ranks fourth in FTA rate allowed (0.180). Moreover, the Pelicans rank fifth in turnover percentage (12.6 percent), while the Mavericks rank first in opponents’ turnover percentage (15.4 percent).
New Orleans games have finished over 50.0 percent of the time, while games including Dallas have gone over 55.6 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Pelicans have a substantial advantage. They are 3-5 SU and 4-4 ATS, while the Mavericks are 1-8 SU and 2-7 ATS.
Each team won two of the four games played against each other last season. The Mavericks won the last matchup 91-81. The Mavericks played a flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.481. The Pelicans had marks of 22.2 and 0.422, respectively, for those same stats.
New Orleans Pelicans vs. Dallas Mavericks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pelicans, ATS Winner – Mavericks, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Pelicans rank 12th in points in the paint per game (44.9) while the Mavericks rank last (32.8).
- Dallas ranks third in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.2) while New Orleans ranks 13th (15.9).
- New Orleans ranks 13th in rebounds per game (43.8) while Dallas ranks 29th (38.7).
- Dallas ranks fourth in second chance points allowed per game (11.6) while New Orleans ranks 11th (12.3).
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Dallas is 23-20 and New Orleans is 18-11.
- The Mavericks are 24-15 when they reach 100 points, while the Pelicans are 34-25.
- The Pelicans rank 11th in assists per game (22.9) while the Mavericks rank 26th (20.8).
- New Orleans ranks fourth in blocks per game (5.5) while Dallas ranks last (3.7).
- The Pelicans rank seventh in fast break points per game (14.6) while the Mavericks rank last (7.7).
- The Mavericks rank fifth in steals allowed per game (6.8) while the Pelicans rank 12th (7.5).
- Dallas averages 30.5 three pointers per game, which ranks sixth in the league. New Orleans ranks 27th in three pointers allowed per game (29.8).