The UC Irvine Anteaters (5-10) will be at home in Bren Events Center when they take on the New Mexico State Aggies (10-2). New Mexico State opened as a 3.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 135 points. Action gets underway at 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
New Mexico State Aggies at UC Irvine Anteaters Betting Preview
The last time the Aggies played, they won a close one over the Davidson Wildcats, 69-68. With 13 points and eight rebounds, Eli Chuha played well for New Mexico State. The Aggies, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.3, had an extraordinary mark of 36.8, while the Wildcats had a turnover percentage of 19.6 (above their season average of 11.8).
The Anteaters come in on a high note after defeating the Idaho Vandals in their last matchup, 67-59. UC Irvine rallied around Evan Leonard, who was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 5-for-16 shooting. UC Irvine dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.279 (above their season average of 0.210) and a turnover percentage of 11.4 (better than their season average of 18.6). For those same stats, Idaho was 0.115 and 14.1, respectively.
Expect this one to be a clinic on boxing out as two of the NCAA’s top rebounding teams battle. The Anteaters are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 53rd in offensive rebounding percentage at 34.9 percent. Meanwhile, New Mexico State ranks ninth in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 77.9 percent.
Of New Mexico State’s 5 games that accepted bets, four have finished under the O/U total, while 6 of UC Irvine’s 12 games have finished over the O/U total. The Aggies have the better straight up (SU) record (10-2 vs. 5-10), but the Anteaters have the better against the spread (ATS) record (4-7-1 vs. 3-2-1).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Aggies won the sole contest played against each other last season, 85-79. The Aggies played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 6.8 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 46.6. For those same stats, the Anteaters recorded marks of 19.6 and 30.6, respectively.
New Mexico State Aggies at UC Irvine Anteaters Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – New Mexico State, ATS Winner – UC Irvine, O/U – Under
- The Aggies allow the second-fewest steals per game (3.9) while the Anteaters rank 29th (5.1).
- New Mexico State is 2-2-1 ATS on the road, while UC Irvine is 0-0-1 ATS at home.
- In 5 road games, the Aggies have 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Anteaters have gone under in all 1 of their home games.
- New Mexico State ranks eighth in assists allowed per game (9.8) while UC Irvine ranks 146th (13.9).
- The Aggies rank 16th in rebounds allowed per game (30.4) while the Anteaters rank 143rd (35.3).
- UC Irvine ranks 41st in blocks per game (4.8) while New Mexico State ranks 140th (2.8).
- UC Irvine is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Mexico State is 2-1-1 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over.
- The Anteaters average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.8, up from 1.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 70.4 points per game (3.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.2 points per game (0.2 below their season average).