The No. 12 New Mexico State Aggies (28-5), 4.5-point underdogs, go head-to-head with the No. 5 Clemson Tigers (23-9) in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament at Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 133 points and it begins at 9:57 p.m. ET on Friday, March 16, 2018.
New Mexico State Aggies vs. Clemson Tigers ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Tigers were beaten by the top-ranked Virginia Cavaliers, 64-58, while the Aggies defeated the Grand Canyon Antelopes, 72-58.
New Mexico State played a perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.364 (above their season average of 0.180) and a turnover percentage of 10.7 (better than their season average of 15.5). For those same stats, Grand Canyon had marks of 0.143 and 18.8, respectively. Clemson, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (19-23; 82.6 percent). Shelton Mitchell had a solid performance for Clemson, finishing with 18 points. New Mexico State received a boost from Jemerrio Jones, who contributed 17 points and 18 rebounds.
Baskets could be hard to come by in this battle between two of the nation’s best defenses. Clemson ranks 40th in defensive efficiency (98.5) and New Mexico State is third (91.5). Moreover, the Aggies, who rank 338th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.185), will battle against the Tigers, who rank 33rd in opponents’ FTA rate (0.190).
Jemerrio Jones has really been playing well recently for New Mexico State, averaging 16.8 rebounds and 13.0 points over the last five games.
New Mexico State Aggies vs. Clemson Tigers ATS Pick
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Clemson, ATS Winner – Clemson, O/U – Over
- New Mexico State ranks fourth in rebounds per game (41.5) while Clemson ranks 154th (35.5).
- The Aggies allow the second-fewest assists per game (9.3) while the Tigers rank 38th (11.3).
- New Mexico State averages 22.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 122nd in the NCAA. Clemson ranks 137th in three pointers allowed per game (21.3).
- The Aggies rank 13th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while the Tigers rank 161st (3.7).
- New Mexico State ranks 15th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while Clemson ranks 98th (5.9).
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 84.2 points per game (8.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 67.2 points per game (3.4 above their season average).
- The Tigers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 7.5 for the season.