The New Mexico State Aggies (14-3, 2-0 WAC) will try to extend a seven-game road winning streak when they square off against the Bakersfield Roadrunners (7-10, 0-2 WAC) at Rabobank Arena. Action starts at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
New Mexico State Aggies at Bakersfield Roadrunners Free Preview
The last time the Aggies played, they defeated the Grand Canyon Antelopes, 70-59. Zach Lofton was the games leading scorer with 29 points on 8-for-15 shooting. New Mexico State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 43.8 (above their season average of 34.6) and a free throw rate of 0.232 (above their season average of 0.163). For those same stats, Grand Canyon recorded marks of 16.3 and 0.156, respectively.
The Roadrunners are hoping for a better outcome after their 87-74 loss to the Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros in their last matchup. With seven points and 10 rebounds, Bakersfield’s Justin Davis had a solid game. Texas-Rio Grande Valley had a turnover percentage of 12.0 (better than their season average of 16.8). Bakersfield, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 48.7 (above their season average of 32.4).
Bakersfield might have a difficult time scoring as they clash against one of the nations best defenses. New Mexico State currently ranks 22nd in defensive efficiency, while the Roadrunners rank 302nd in offensive efficiency. Also, the Aggies rank 37th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.1 percent), while the Roadrunners rank 256th in defensive rebounding percentage (69.4 percent).
Lofton has taken his game to another level over the last five games for New Mexico State, averaging 17.4 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Aggies won two out of three meetings last season. In the last contest, New Mexico State won 70-60. The Aggies dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.718 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.538. For those same stats, the Roadrunners recorded marks of 0.179 and 0.446, respectively.
New Mexico State Aggies at Bakersfield Roadrunners Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – New Mexico State, ATS Winner – New Mexico State, O/U – Under
- The Aggies and Roadrunners rank 20th in blocks allows per game (2.4).
- New Mexico State ranks 32nd in rebounds per game (39.9) while Bakersfield ranks 189th (34.8).
- The Aggies rank seventh in assists allowed per game (9.8) while the Roadrunners rank 107th (13.1).
- New Mexico State is third in the NCAA with 4.2 steals allowed per game while Bakersfield is 60th with 5.8 steals allowed per game.
- The Roadrunners average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 17.0, up from 4.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 73.4 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.0 points per game (2.4 below their season average).