The New Mexico Lobos (8-10, 3-2 MWC) can put an end to a seven-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Fresno State Bulldogs (12-6, 2-3 MWC) at Save Mart Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
New Mexico Lobos at Fresno State Bulldogs Betting Preview
In the Lobos last matchup, they defeated the Wyoming Cowboys, 75-66. With 17 points and 10 rebounds, Joe Furstinger had a good performance for New Mexico. New Mexico dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.5 (above their season average of 28.4) and a free throw rate of 0.380 (above their season average of 0.224). Wyoming was 14.3 and 0.189, respectively, for those same stats.
The Bulldogs are trying to rebound after their 70-64 loss to the Boise State Broncos in their last matchup. Deshon Taylor was Fresno State’s high scorer with 15 points on 2-for-13 shooting. Boise State did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (25-33; 75.8 percent). Fresno State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.0 vs. 15.0).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Fresno State figures to have a substantial edge. The elite Bulldogs offense ranks 37th in the NCAA in that metric at 0.558, while the bottom-tier New Mexico defense is ranked 259th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.521). Opposite paces will be on display in this contest. The up-and-down Lobos rank 52nd in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Bulldogs rank 277th.
Furstinger has been playing at a high level over the last five games for New Mexico, averaging 13.4 points, 9.4 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Bulldogs won two out of three contests played against each other last season. In the last game, Fresno State won 65-60. Making free throws was one of Fresno State’s biggest advantages. They were 15-18 (83.3 percent), while the Lobos were just 12-22 (54.5 percent).
New Mexico Lobos vs. Fresno State Bulldogs Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Fresno State, ATS Winner – Fresno State, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs rank 19th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while the Lobos rank 103rd (6.5).
- Fresno State averages 3.6 blocks per game, which ranks 92nd in the nation. New Mexico ranks 95th in blocks allowed per game (3.6).
- New Mexico ranks fourth in three pointers attempted per game (31.1) while Fresno State ranks 243rd (18.1).
- The Bulldogs rank 12th in rebounds allowed per game (30.4) while the Lobos rank 224th (38.2).
- New Mexico ranks 46th in assists per game (16.1) while Fresno State ranks 156th (13.2).
- The Bulldogs have been outscored by an average of 1.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Fresno State has defeated opponents by an average of 10.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Lobos have scored an average of 75.6 points per game (3.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.6 points per game (6.6 below their season average).