The New Mexico Lobos (6-9, 1-1 MWC) will try to put an end to their six-game road losing streak when they challenge the Boise State Broncos (12-2, 2-0 MWC), who look to continue their nine-game home winning streak. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 148 points with Boise State opening as an 11-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
New Mexico Lobos vs. Boise State Broncos Free Preview
The Lobos lost a close one to the Nevada Wolf Pack in their last outing, 77-74. New Mexico’s Joe Furstinger had a good game, recording 10 points and 10 rebounds. Nevada had a turnover percentage of 6.7 (better than their season average of 14.0). New Mexico, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 38.9 (above their season average of 28.5).
The last time the Broncos played, they defeated the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels, 83-74. With 32 points on 13-for-18 shooting, Chandler Hutchison was the games leading scorer. The Broncos had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 37.1 (above their season average of 27.7) and held the Runnin’ Rebels to an effective field goal percentage of 0.448 (below their season average of 0.573).
Boise State figures to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Broncos currently rank 47th in effective field goal percentage (0.556), while New Mexico ranks 250th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.519). ,
Of New Mexico’s 12 games that accepted bets, seven have finished under the O/U total, while 7 of Boise State’s 13 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Broncos have a sizable advantage. They are 12-2 SU and 8-5 ATS, while the Lobos are 6-9 SU and 6-7 ATS.
Hutchison has really been playing well over the last five games for Boise State, averaging 22.6 points, 8.4 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Lobos won both meetings last season. In the last matchup, New Mexico won 78-73. New Mexico made good use of their 26 trips to the charity stripe, making 22 of them (84.6 percent). Boise State, on the other hand, was 13-17 (76.5 percent).
New Mexico Lobos at Boise State Broncos Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Boise State, ATS Winner – New Mexico, O/U – Under
- The Lobos rank 52nd in steals per game (7.5) while the Broncos rank 59th in steals allowed per game (5.6).
- New Mexico is 2-4 ATS on the road with 5 unders and 1 over.
- At home, Boise State is 5-2 ATS with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Boise State averages 40.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 36th in the nation. New Mexico ranks 229th in rebounds allowed per game (39.0).
- The Lobos average 31.5 three pointers per game, which ranks fifth in the nation. The Broncos rank 113th in three pointers allowed per game (21.6).
- Boise State ranks 45th in assists allowed per game (11.5) while New Mexico ranks 139th (13.7).
- Boise State is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, New Mexico is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Broncos average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, down from 13.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lobos have scored an average of 79.8 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (1.3 below their season average).