MWC foes will battle when the Air Force Falcons (9-13, 3-7 MWC) clash against the New Mexico Lobos (12-13, 7-5 MWC) at Clune Arena. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
New Mexico Lobos vs. Air Force Falcons ATS Preview
The last time the Lobos played, they lost a close one to the Boise State Broncos, 73-71. With 17 points on 5-for-10 shooting, Anthony Mathis led New Mexico in scoring. Boise State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 27.7). New Mexico, on the other hand, held the Broncos to an effective field goal percentage of 0.468 (below their season average of 0.557).
The Falcons come in on a high note after defeating the Colorado State Rams in their last game, 78-73. Air Force’s Trevor Lyons played well, putting up 10 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds. Air Force dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.246 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 29.4 (below their season average of 29.9). Colorado State was 0.111 and 26.5, respectively, for those same stats.
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Air Force. Air Force ranks 175th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 18.8 percent), while the disruptive defense of New Mexico forces the 12th-most turnovers in the nation (23.6 percent).
Joe Furstinger has taken his game to another level over the last five games for New Mexico, averaging 11.4 points, 7.8 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.8 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Lobos won 87-58. The Lobos turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Falcons. New Mexico had a rate of 10.5, while Air Force posted a mark of 20.3. Furstinger recorded a double-double with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
New Mexico Lobos vs. Air Force Falcons ATS Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – New Mexico, ATS Winner – New Mexico, O/U – Under
- The Lobos rank 44th in steals per game (7.4) while the Falcons rank 122nd (6.2).
- New Mexico averages 30.4 three pointers per game, which ranks third in the nation. Air Force ranks 232nd in three pointers allowed per game (24.0).
- The Falcons rank 95th in rebounds allowed per game (33.5) while the Lobos rank 247th (37.8).
- New Mexico averages 16.1 assists per game, which ranks 43rd in the nation. Air Force ranks 184th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- The Falcons average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.8, up from 4.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Lobos have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (1.0 below their season average).