The New Hampshire Wildcats (4-10) will attempt to snap their five-game road losing streak when they square off with the UMBC Retrievers (9-6), who look to lengthen their seven-game home winning streak. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
New Hampshire Wildcats at UMBC Retrievers ATS Preview
The Wildcats were victorious over the Dartmouth Big Green in their last game, 83-66. Tanner Leissner was the top scorer from either team with 32 points on 9-for-16 shooting. New Hampshire played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 39.3 (above their season average of 34.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.611 (above their season average of 0.488). For those same stats, Dartmouth had marks of 27.3 and 0.491, respectively.
In the Retrievers last matchup, they thoroughly outplayed the Centenary (NJ) Cyclones, 85-41. UMBC was led by K.J. Maura, who put up six points and 11 assists. UMBC played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (below their season average of 32.5) and a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 16.4). For those same stats, Centenary (NJ) put up marks of 9.1 and 26.4, respectively.
New Hampshire could struggle to create turnovers. UMBC ranks 79th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 18.9 percent), while New Hampshire forces the 26th-fewest turnovers (16.3 percent).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Wildcats won two out of three matchups played against each other last season. In the most recent game, New Hampshire won 74-65. The Wildcats dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.224 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 38.5. The Retrievers were 0.094 and 25.0, respectively, for those same stats.
New Hampshire Wildcats at UMBC Retrievers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UMBC, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats allow the 26th-fewest blocks per game (2.4) while the Retrievers rank 44th (3.5).
- UMBC averages 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 89th in the NCAA. New Hampshire ranks 102nd in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- UMBC ranks 42nd in three pointers attempted per game (30.1) while New Hampshire ranks 191st in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- The Wildcats rank 20th in assists allowed per game (10.4) while the Retrievers rank 150th (13.9).
- New Hampshire ranks 29th in rebounds per game (40.5) while UMBC ranks 148th (37.1).
- The Retrievers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, down from 5.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 76.8 points per game (4.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 61.0 points per game (5.3 below their season average).