The Nevada Wolf Pack (16-3, 5-0 MWC) look to extend their five-game winning streak against the struggling San Jose State Spartans (3-14, 0-6 MWC) at San Jose State Event Center. Nevada is a 16-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 142 points. Action starts at 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Nevada Wolf Pack at San Jose State Spartans Betting Preview
The Wolf Pack won big over the Utah State Aggies in their last outing, 83-57. With 15 points and nine rebounds, Nevada’s Caleb Martin put together a good performance. Nevada played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.344 (above their season average of 0.279) and a turnover percentage of 7.6 (better than their season average of 13.8). Utah State was 0.100 and 15.6, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Spartans last game, they were dismantled by the Air Force Falcons, 78-71. Ryan Welage was San Jose State’s high scorer with 17 points on 5-for-9 shooting. Air Force had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 30.0). San Jose State, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.529 (above their season average of 0.479).
San Jose State might struggle to put up points as they go head-to-head against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Nevada currently ranks 95th in defensive efficiency while the Spartans rank 334th in offensive efficiency. Additionally, the Wolf Pack rank 13th in turnover percentage (15.3 percent), while the Spartans rank 317th in opponents turnover percentage (16.5 percent).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Games featuring Nevada have finished over 61.1 percent of the time, while 62.5 percent of San Jose State games have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wolf Pack have a sizable advantage. They are 16-3 SU and 10-7-1 ATS, while the Spartans are 3-14 SU and 6-10 ATS.
Martin has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Nevada, averaging 21.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Wolf Pack won both matchups last season. In the most recent matchup, Nevada won 82-67. The Wolf Pack played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid turnover percentage of 9.1 and a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.345. For those same stats, the Spartans were 12.3 and 0.254, respectively.
Nevada Wolf Pack vs. San Jose State Spartans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nevada, ATS Winner – Nevada, O/U – Under
- The Spartans rank 20th in rebounds allowed per game (30.9) while the Wolf Pack rank 122nd (34.6).
- Nevada is 5-4-1 ATS on the road, while San Jose State is 3-4 ATS at home.
- Of the Wolf Pack’s 10 road games, they have 6 overs and 4 unders.
- In 7 home games, the Spartans have 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Nevada ranks 10th in steals allowed per game (4.6) while San Jose State ranks 182nd (7.9).
- The Wolf Pack rank 31st in assists per game (16.9) while the Spartans rank 198th (12.5).
- Nevada ranks 110th in three pointers attempted per game (22.9) while San Jose State ranks 270th (15.1).
- San Jose State is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Nevada is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spartans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 17.8, up from 7.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wolf Pack have scored an average of 83.6 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (1.2 above their season average).