Big 10 foes will clash when the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (12-9, 2-6 Big 10) meet the Nebraska Cornhuskers (14-8, 5-4 Big 10) at Louis Brown Athletic Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 128.5 points with Nebraska set as a 1-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Nebraska Cornhuskers at Rutgers Scarlet Knights ATS Preview
The Cornhuskers lost to the No. 22 Ohio State Buckeyes in their last game, 64-59. With 34 points on 11-for-18 shooting, James Palmer Jr. was the top scorer from either team. Ohio State had a free throw rate of 0.308 (above their season average of 0.236). Nebraska, meanwhile, held the Buckeyes to an effective field goal percentage of 0.462 (below their season average of 0.551).
The last time the Scarlet Knights played, they were beaten by the No. 23 Michigan Wolverines, 62-47. With 11 points and 11 rebounds, Rutgers Deshawn Freeman played well. Michigan held the Scarlet Knights to an effective field goal percentage of 0.353 (below their season average of 0.451). Rutgers, meanwhile, did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (11-15; 73.3 percent).
Rutgers could dominate on defense as they clash against one of the NCAA’s worst offenses. The Scarlet Knights currently rank 11th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.447), while Nebraska is 274th in effective field goal percentage (0.491). Furthermore, the Cornhuskers rank 32nd in turnover percentage (16.4 percent), while the Scarlet Knights rank 58th in opponents turnover percentage (21.9 percent).
Both of these teams have typically gone under the projected point total. Nebraska games have gone under 70.0 percent of the time, while 61.5 percent of games featuring Rutgers have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Cornhuskers have a substantial advantage. They are 14-8 SU and 14-6 ATS, while the Scarlet Knights are 12-9 SU and 8-4-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Scarlet Knights won the sole game played against each other last season, 65-64. Rutgers did a fantastic job of making free throws (14-20; 70.0 percent). Nebraska, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (12.1 vs. 17.6).
Nebraska Cornhuskers at Rutgers Scarlet Knights Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Nebraska, ATS Winner – Nebraska, O/U – Under
- The Cornhuskers rank 181st in three pointers attempted per game (20.8) while the Scarlet Knights rank 282nd (15.3).
- Nebraska ranks 25th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while Rutgers ranks 36th (5.2).
- Rutgers is 7-1-1 ATS at home, while Nebraska is 6-4 ATS on the road.
- In 10 road games, the Cornhuskers have 7 unders and 3 overs.
- The Scarlet Knights have 6 unders and 3 overs in 9 home games.
- Rutgers ranks eighth in rebounds per game (40.9) while Nebraska ranks 263rd in rebounds allowed per game (39.2).
- The Cornhuskers rank 14th in blocks per game (5.7) while the Scarlet Knights rank 153rd in blocks allowed per game (4.4).
- Nebraska ranks 133rd in assists per game (13.7) while Rutgers ranks 235th (11.0).
- Rutgers is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Nebraska is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Scarlet Knights have been outscored by an average of 4.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Rutgers has defeated opponents by an average of 6.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Cornhuskers have scored an average of 66.4 points per game (6.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.8 points per game (6.4 below their season average).