The Nebraska Cornhuskers (14-7, 5-3 Big 10) look to put an end to the seven-game winning streak of Ohio State when they travel to Value City Arena to square off with the No. 22 Buckeyes (17-4, 8-0 Big 10). The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 141 points with Ohio State opening as an 11.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018.
Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. Ohio State Buckeyes ATS Preview
The Cornhuskers had no trouble getting past the No. 23 Michigan Wolverines in their last matchup, 72-52. James Palmer Jr. was the top scorer from either team with 19 points on 5-for-8 shooting. Nebraska dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.319 (above their season average of 0.267) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.606 (above their season average of 0.488). For those same stats, Michigan had marks of 0.107 and 0.411, respectively.
The last time the Buckeyes played, they thoroughly outplayed the Minnesota Golden Gophers, 67-49. With 17 points on 7-for-21 shooting, Keita Bates-Diop was the top scorer from either team. Ohio State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.2 (better than their season average of 15.7) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0 (above their season average of 29.5). Minnesota was 21.2 and 17.1, respectively, for those same stats.
This matchup pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Ohio State currently ranks 47th in effective field goal percentage (0.551) and Nebraska is 32nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.464).
Games involving these teams tend to finish under the projected point total. Nebraska games have gone under 68.4 percent of the time, while 73.7 percent of Ohio State games have gone under. The Buckeyes have the superior straight up (SU) record (17-4 vs. 14-7), but the Cornhuskers hold the clear advantage against the spread (ATS) (13-6 vs. 11-8).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Cornhuskers won the last game 58-57. The Cornhuskers turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Buckeyes. Nebraska had a rate of 16.9, while Ohio State posted a mark of 24.7.
Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. Ohio State Buckeyes Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Ohio State, ATS Winner – Nebraska, O/U – Under
- The Cornhuskers and Buckeyes rank 26th in steals allows per game (5.1).
- Nebraska is 5-4 ATS on the road, while Ohio State is 5-5 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 6 of the Cornhuskers 9 road games, while 8 of the Buckeyes 10 home games have gone under.
- Ohio State ranks 42nd in rebounds allowed per game (32.1) while Nebraska ranks 247th (39.3).
- The Cornhuskers rank 30th in three pointers allowed per game (18.5) while the Buckeyes rank 215th (24.0).
- Ohio State ranks 28th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Nebraska ranks 114th (3.8).
- Ohio State is 5-0 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Nebraska is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Buckeyes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 16.8, up from 12.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cornhuskers have scored an average of 67.0 points per game (6.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.8 points per game (4.6 below their season average).