Big 10 foes will collide when the Penn State Nittany Lions (12-6, 2-3 Big 10) challenge the Nebraska Cornhuskers (12-6, 3-2 Big 10) at Bryce Jordan Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142.5 points with Penn State opening as a 6.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. Penn State Nittany Lions Odds Preview
The Cornhuskers beat the Wisconsin Badgers in their last outing, 63-59. James Palmer Jr. led Nebraska in scoring with 18 points on 5-for-11 shooting. Getting to the free throw line was one of Nebraska’s largest advantages. They had 28 free throw attempts, 18 more than Wisconsin.
The last time the Nittany Lions played, they were topped by the Indiana Hoosiers, 74-70. With 20 points and seven rebounds, Lamar Stevens put together a good outing for Penn State. Indiana held the Nittany Lions to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.2 (below their season average of 33.6). Penn State, on the other hand, held the Hoosiers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.452 (below their season average of 0.515).
Penn State could have their way on defense as they square off against one of the nations worst offenses. The Nittany Lions currently rank 39th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.463), while Nebraska is 254th in effective field goal percentage (0.492). Additionally, the Cornhuskers commit the 56th-fewest errors in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 16.9 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of the Nittany Lions causes the 60th-most (opponents turnover percentage of 22.0 percent).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Cornhuskers, it’s been Palmer Jr. who has averaged 19.2 points and 5.6 rebounds, while the Nittany Lions have gotten great contributions from Mike Watkins (13.6 points, 12.0 rebounds and 3.2 blocks).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after splitting two games last season. In the last game, the Nittany Lions won 76-67. Penn State did a great job of getting and making free throws (21-26; 80.8 percent). Nebraska, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (9.0 vs. 17.4).
Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. Penn State Nittany Lions Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Penn State, ATS Winner – Nebraska, O/U – Over
- The Nittany Lions rank 31st in assists allowed per game (11.1) while the Cornhuskers rank 82nd (12.5).
- Nebraska ranks 191st in three pointers attempted per game (20.5) while Penn State ranks 231st (18.7).
- Penn State ranks 63rd in rebounds allowed per game (32.8) while Nebraska ranks 240th (38.9).
- The Nittany Lions rank 11th in blocks per game (6.1) while the Cornhuskers rank 118th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Penn State ranks 15th in steals per game (8.8) while Nebraska ranks 110th (6.3).
- The Nittany Lions average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.8, down from 12.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cornhuskers have scored an average of 70.2 points per game (3.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.6 points per game (6.8 below their season average).