The St. John’s Red Storm (2-0) will be at home in Carnesecca Arena when they go head-to-head with the Nebraska Cornhuskers (2-0). The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 151.5 points with St. John’s set as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 6:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 16, 2017.
Nebraska Cornhuskers at St. John’s Red Storm ATS Preview
In the Cornhuskers last contest, they dismantled the North Texas Mean Green, 86-67. With 15 points, Nebraska’s Glynn Watson Jr. played well. Nebraska dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.550 and a turnover percentage of 13.1. North Texas was 0.175 and 19.3, respectively, for those same stats.
The Red Storm will look to keep it rolling after dismantling the Central Connecticut State Blue Devils in their last outing, 80-55. St. John’s received a boost from Shamorie Ponds, who was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 5-for-11 shooting. St. John’s dominated every facet of the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 and a turnover percentage of 16.9. For those same stats, Central Connecticut State was 13.3 and 27.9, respectively.
This contest should be a matchup of conflicting paces. St. John’s ranks 40th in possessions per game (73.0) while Nebraska is 189th (69.6) dating back to the 2016-17 season. Also, the Cornhuskers rank 34th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.4 percent), while the Red Storm rank 310th in defensive rebounding percentage (67.4 percent).
Since last season, the Cornhuskers are 14-19 straight up (SU) and 13-17-1 against the spread (ATS). Nebraska games have had a slight tendency to finish under the projected point total since last season (51.6 percent).
The Red Storm, meanwhile, are 16-19 SU and 16-15-2 ATS since last season. St. John’s games have gone over the projected point total 59.4 percent of the time over that same period.
Nebraska Cornhuskers vs. St. John’s Red Storm Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – St. John’s, ATS Winner – Nebraska, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Cornhuskers rank 132nd in assists allowed per game (13.0) while the Red Storm rank 258th (14.7).
- St. John’s averages 6.9 steals per game, which ranks 78th in the nation. Nebraska ranks 155th in steals allowed per game (6.2).
- Nebraska averages 38.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 39th in the NCAA. St. John’s ranks 295th in rebounds allowed per game (38.7).
- The Red Storm average 5.8 blocks per game, which ranks fifth in the NCAA. The Cornhuskers rank 253rd in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- St. John’s ranks 80th in three pointers attempted per game (23.3) while Nebraska ranks 279th (18.0).