The Eagles of Eastern Michigan (-4) are set to welcome their conference counterpart Northern Illinois Huskies to Rynearson Stadium. The game is scheduled to get underway at 6:00 p.m. ET and fans can watch the action on ESPN+.
Betting Preview: Northern Illinois Huskies vs. Eastern Michigan Eagles
In this Saturday Mid-American game, Eastern Michigan has been tabbed as the favorite and is currently giving up 4 points. The Huskies are also receiving +155 moneyline odds while the Eagles are -175. There might be some good live betting opportunities while the game’s underway.
The game’s opening line was initially set at -3 and has moved a bit recently.
The Huskies are down 2.0 units this season and 1-3 against the spread (ATS). They’ve been a good under bet and have posted an O/U record of 1-3.
The Eagles have been a pleasant surprise for moneyline bettors in 2018, gaining 3.5 units. The team is 3-1 ATS and has an O/U record of 1-2.
The Huskies are 1-3 straight up (SU), including 1-0 SU against MAC opponents. The Eagles are 2-2 SU overall and 0-1 SU in conference play.
The Huskies lost to Florida State 37-19 in a blowout where the passing attack the primary culprit as Marcus Childers completed just 20-of-41 passes for 215 yards and two touchdowns. As a team, the Huskies rushed for just six yards in the loss.
Back on September 22, San Diego State knocked off this Eastern Michigan crew by a score of 23-20. The Eagles defensive unit let the Aztecs rush for 174 yards on 37 attempts. Chase Jasmin had a productive showing in the win for San Diego State, posting 94 rushing yards on 16 attempts. As a group, the Eagles collectively completed 17-of-27 passes for 236 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Mike Glass III went nine-for-16 for 153 yards, one touchdown and one interception while Tyler Wiegers was eight-of-11 for 83 yards. Shaq Vann (76 rushing yards on 21 attempts) mounted the ground attack in the defeat while Mathew Sexton (five receptions, 64 yards) and Line Latu (three catches, 86 yards) led the pass-catching corps.
Looking at offensive play-calling, each of these teams sports a remarkably similar (55-45) run-pass ratio on the season. The Huskies have produced 101.0 rush yards/game and have just a single touchdown via handoffs this year. The Eagles are totaling 125.3 rush yards per game and have six total rushing TDs.
The Huskies offensive scheme has averaged 135.0 yards through the air overall and has six passing TD so far. The Eagles have recorded 308.3 pass yards per contest and have nine total pass scores.
On the defensive side of the ball, Northern Illinois has allowed 140.5 rush yards and 234.8 pass yards per game. The Eastern Michigan defense has allowed 208.8 yards per game to opposing passers and 216.5 yards per game to opposing runners. The Huskies are allowing an adjusted net yards per pass attempt (ANY/A) of only 5.93 to opponents, while the Eagles have given up a 6.48 ANY/A.
Offensively, Childers has put up 431 passing yards this season, and has completed 53 percent of his 99 attempts with three scores through the air and two interceptions. Childers has a 2.66 adjusted net yards per pass attempt overall, although that number sits at 6.02 over the past two outings.
D.J. Brown, Tre Harbison and Cole Tucker have combined for 367 total yards and two touchdowns over the last couple of outings.
In the other huddle, Mike Glass III has completed 14-of-26 passes for 218 yards, three TDs and one INT. Glass III’s ANY/A sits at 8.59 for the year and 9.13 over his last two outings.
Blake Banham (202 receiving yards, one receiving touchdown this season), Arthur Jackson III (169 receiving yards, one receiving TD) and Shaq Vann (166 rush yards) have combined for 395 total yards and four touchdowns over the last two games.
These two programs met last year with the final outcome being a 30-27 win for Northern Illinois.
Northern Illinois Huskies at Eastern Michigan Eagles Betting Prediction
SU Winner: Northern Illinois, ATS Winner: Northern Illinois
Team Betting Trends
- Northern Illinois was favored by 10 points in its previous game and the O/U was set at 46. The over cashed and Northern Illinois did not cover in the 37-19 loss to Florida State.
- As a team, Northern Illinois has produced 2.72972972972973 yards per carry across its last three outings and 2.7 over its last two.
- Eastern Michigan has averaged 2.9 yards per carry over its last three contests and 3.2 over its last two.
- Both teams have lost two fumbles this season.
- Over its last three matches, Northern Illinois is 1-2 ATS and the under cashed in two of those three.
- Eastern Michigan was favored by 11 points in its last matchup and the Over/Under was set at 48.5. The under cashed and Eastern Michigan failed to cover in the 23-20 loss to San Diego State.
- In its last three matches, Eastern Michigan is 2-1 ATS and the under cashed in two of those three.
- The Huskies offense has registered one pass play of 40 yards or more, while the Eagles have accounted for six such plays.
- The Northern Illinois defense has allowed three pass plays of 40+ yards, while Eastern Michigan has given up four such plays.
- The Northern Illinois offense has created two rushing plays of 20+ yards, while Eastern Michigan has created one such runs.
- The Huskies defense has allowed three rushing plays of 20+ yards, while the Eagles have given up 11 such runs.
- The Northern Illinois defense has 13 sacks on the year while Eastern Michigan has eight.