The No. 19 Texas Longhorns are receiving 7.5 points from oddsmakers as they face off against their Big 12 foe No. 7 Oklahoma Sooners at Cotton Bowl. This critical afternoon game is scheduled to begin at 12:00 p.m. ET and FOX has the TV rights.
Betting Preview: Oklahoma Sooners vs. Texas Longhorns
Texas is a noticeable underdog in this Big 12 game and is currently getting 7.5 points. The Longhorns are also receiving +250 moneyline odds while the Sooners are -330. If one side gets out in front early it would create a worthwhile in-game betting opportunity. Vegas has determined the over/under (O/U) to be 61 points.
The Longhorns are 2-3 against the spread (ATS) and have lost 1.8 units so far in 2018. The team has posted an Over-Under mark of 2-3.
The Sooners are up 2.0 units for moneyline bettors this season. They’re 2-3 ATS and four of their games have gone over the total.
The Longhorns have gone 4-1 straight up (SU), including 2-0 SU against Big 12 opponents. The Sooners are 5-0 SU overall and are also 2-0 SU in conference play.
The Longhorns look to keep it going after a 19-14 victory over Kansas State last week. Sam Ehlinger completed 29 passes on 36 attempts for 207 yards and one touchdown. Keaontay Ingram (68 rushing yards on 10 attempts) led the ground attack. Devin Duvernay (six receptions, 43 yards) and Lil’Jordan Humphrey (five catches, 50 yards) shared the receiving duties in the win.
Oklahoma just got a 66-33 win over Baylor. Kyler Murray completed 17-of-21 passes for 432 yards and six touchdowns. Murray (45 rushing yards on 10 attempts, one TD) and Kennedy Brooks (107 yards on eight carries, two TDs) handled the running game while Marquise Brown (five receptions, 132 yards, two TDs) and CeeDee Lamb (three catches, 101 yards, one TD) led the Oklahoma pass-catchers in the win.
Texas has run the ball on 54.7 percent of its offensive possessions this year while Oklahoma has a rush percentage of 57.5 percent. The Longhorns have produced 153.2 rush yards per game (including 111.5 per game versus Big 12 opponents) and have seven touchdowns on the ground this year. The Sooners are putting up 206.2 rushing yards per game (173.0 in conference) and have 14 total rush TDs.
If 2018 results are any indication, then it seems like the Sooners could own the advantage when it comes to RB efficiency, as their backfield has produced 6.1 yards per carry while the defense has allowed a YPC of 3.2 to opponents. The Longhorns have tallied 3.7 yards per carry while allowing 3.4 yards per rush attempt to opponents.
The Longhorns offense has logged 243.4 yards per contest through the air overall (241.5 per game versus conference opposition) and has nine passing TDs so far. The Sooners have put up 317.0 pass yards per outing (390 against Big 12 competition) and have 18 total pass scores.
Defensively, Texas appears to have the upper hand in both phases. The team has allowed 115.0 rush yards and 218.2 pass yards per game. The Oklahoma defense has given up 252.4 yards per game to opposing passers and 152.8 yards per game to opposing runners. The Longhorns are allowing an adjusted net yards per pass attempt (ANY/A) of only 4.69 to opposing QBs, while the Sooners have given up a 5.99 ANY/A.
Murray has been more efficient than Ehlinger lately. His adjusted net yards per pass attempt stands at 15.31 for the year and 18.15 over his past two outings while Ehlinger’s ANY/A is 6.76 and 6.77 over the last two games.
When these two schools faced one another last year, Oklahoma emerged victorious by a score of 29-24.
Texas Longhorns at Oklahoma Sooners Bedding Prediction
SU Winner: Texas, ATS Winner: Texas, O/U: Under
Team Betting Trends
- The Oklahoma D has notched more than twice as many sacks as Texas this season (15 to seven).
- The Oklahoma offense has lost one fumble in 2018 while Texas has let three get away.
- The Longhorns offense has created three pass plays of 40 yards or more, while the Sooners have put up 10 such plays.
- The Texas defense has allowed six pass plays of 40+ yards, while Oklahoma has given up seven such plays.
- The Texas offense has created two rushing plays of 20+ yards, while Oklahoma has created 12 such runs.
- The Longhorns defense has allowed four rushing plays of 20 yards or more, while the Sooners have given up two such runs.
- Oklahoma was favored by 21 points in its last game and the Over/Under was set at 69.5. The over cashed and Oklahoma covered in the 66-33 win over Baylor.
- In its last three matchups, Oklahoma is 1-2 ATS and the over cashed in two of those three.
- Over its last three matches, Texas is 2-1 ATS and the under cashed in two of those three.
- Texas was getting 9 points in its previous game and the Over/Under going into it was 48.5. The under cashed and Texas covered in the 19-14 win over Kansas State.
- As a team, Texas has averaged 3.13934426229508 yards per carry over its past three games and 3.0 over its last two.
- Oklahoma has averaged 5.6 yards per carry over its last three contests and 6.5 over its past two.