The No. 12 Murray State Racers (26-5) face off against the No. 5 West Virginia Mountaineers (24-10) in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament at Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl. The Racers opened as a 9.5-point underdog. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 145.5 points and it gets underway at 4 p.m. ET on Friday, March 16, 2018.
Murray State Racers vs. West Virginia Mountaineers ATS Odds
In their last game, the Mountaineers were beaten by the ninth-ranked Kansas Jayhawks, 81-70, while the Racers beat the Belmont Bruins, 68-51.
Murray State dominated every stat category in the game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.9 (better than their season average of 15.5) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.7 (below their season average of 32.9). Belmont was 18.3 and 18.9, respectively, for those same stats. West Virginia, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the charity stripe (10-10; 100.0 percent). West Virginia received a boost from Jevon Carter, who put up 17 points and nine assists. Jonathan Stark played well for Murray State, putting up 24 points.
This matchup pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses as West Virginia ranks 33rd in offensive efficiency and Murray State is 22nd in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Racers rank 57th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.277), while the Mountaineers rank 338th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.311).
Murray State Racers vs. West Virginia Mountaineers Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – West Virginia, ATS Winner – Murray State, O/U – Under
- West Virginia ranks 15th in blocks per game (5.3) while Murray State ranks 148th (3.2).
- The Mountaineers rank 14th in steals per game (8.0) while the Racers rank 79th (6.8).
- West Virginia ranks 54th in three pointers attempted per game (24.9) while Murray State ranks 98th in three pointers allowed per game (20.6).
- The Racers rank 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while the Mountaineers rank 139th (34.5).
- Murray State ranks seventh in assists allowed per game (9.8) while West Virginia ranks 76th (12.2).
- During their last five games, the Mountaineers have scored an average of 75.4 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (5.0 above their season average).
- The Racers’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.6, down from 13.4 for the season.