The Detroit Titans (4-7) and the Murray State Racers (7-3) square off at Calihan Hall. The Titans look to snap their five-game losing streak. Murray State is an 8.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 166 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Murray State Racers at Detroit Titans ATS Preview
The Racers fell to the Auburn Tigers in their last matchup, 81-77. With 24 points on 9-for-20 shooting, Terrell Miller Jr. was the top scorer from either team. Auburn made 12 of their 27 three pointers (44.4 percent). Murray State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (40.4 vs. 33.3).
In the Titans last matchup, they were topped by the East Tennessee State Buccaneers, 81-73. Kameron Chatman led Detroit in scoring with 20 points on 6-for-10 shooting. East Tennessee State had a turnover percentage of 9.4 (better than their season average of 17.1). Detroit, meanwhile, held the Buccaneers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.4 (below their season average of 30.6).
This game should be a matchup of conflicting paces. Detroit has preferred to play fast (fifth in possessions per game), while Murray State has been more half-court-oriented (272nd in possessions per game). Also, the Racers rank 20th in offensive efficiency (119.7), while the Titans rank 329th in defensive efficiency (114.0).
Both of these teams tend to finish over the projected point total. Games featuring Murray State have finished over 57.1 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of Detroit games have gone over. The Racers come into this game with a sizable advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 7-3 SU and 5-2 ATS, while the Titans are 4-7 SU and 4-5-1 ATS.
Temetrius Morant has been superb over the last five games for Murray State, averaging 13.6 points, 7.0 assists and 6.2 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Racers won the sole game played against each other last season, 86-76. The Racers played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.6 and a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.410. For those same stats, the Titans recorded marks of 20.2 and 0.281, respectively.
Murray State Racers at Detroit Titans Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Murray State, ATS Winner – Detroit, O/U – Over
- The Racers average 4.4 blocks per game, which ranks 62nd in the NCAA. The Titans rank 138th in blocks allowed per game (4.2).
- Murray State is 2-1 ATS on the road, while Detroit is 1-1-1 ATS at home.
- Of the Racers 3 road games, they have 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Titans have 2 overs and 1 under in 3 home games.
- Murray State ranks 26th in rebounds allowed per game (31.0) while Detroit ranks 257th (40.9).
- The Racers rank 14th in assists allowed per game (10.1) while the Titans rank 231st (17.4).
- Detroit ranks 23rd in three pointers attempted per game (27.6) while Murray State ranks 158th (21.9).
- Detroit is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Murray State is 3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under.
- The Titans average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 2.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Racers have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (4.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.8 points per game (2.1 above their season average).