The Coppin State Eagles (0-12) are off to a slow start and will try to get their first victory when they go head-to-head with the Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers (4-7) at Physical Education Complex. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers vs. Coppin State Eagles Free Preview
The Mountaineers edged the American University Eagles in their last contest, 59-56. With 12 points and 12 rebounds, Mount St. Mary’s Chris Wray played well. Mount St. Mary’s dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.4 (better than their season average of 15.9) and a free throw rate of 0.121 (matching their season average). For those same stats, American University was 18.3 and 0.086, respectively.
In the Eagles last game, they were topped by the No. 10 West Virginia Mountaineers, 77-38. With seven points and eight rebounds, Coppin State’s Lamar Morgan played well. West Virginia’s 7.9 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Coppin State, who had a rate of 34.1. The Mountaineers mark was better than their season average of 12.7, while the Eagles was above their season average of 17.4.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Mountaineers won the sole game last season, 87-49. Mount St. Mary’s launched 25 three pointers, making 16 of them (64.0 percent), while Coppin State was just 2-15 (13.3 percent).
Mount St. Mary’s Mountaineers vs. Coppin State Eagles ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mount St. Mary’s, ATS Winner – Mount St. Mary’s, O/U – Under
- The Mountaineers rank 233rd in rebounds allowed per game (39.1) while the Eagles rank 269th (46.2).
- Mount St. Mary’s averages 29.9 three pointers per game, which ranks ninth in the nation. Coppin State ranks 182nd in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- The Mountaineers rank 152nd in assists per game (13.3) while the Eagles rank 241st (8.7).
- Mount St. Mary’s ranks 22nd in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while Coppin State ranks 96th (3.4).
- The Eagles average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 18.4, down from 22.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mountaineers have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (1.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.0 points per game (8.1 below their season average).