The Southern Utah Thunderbirds (6-5) look to extend a five-game home winning streak when they meet the Montana State Bobcats (6-6) at Centrum Arena. Montana State is a 1.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 164 points. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Montana State Bobcats at Southern Utah Thunderbirds Free Preview
In the Bobcats last contest, they were beaten by the Omaha Mavericks, 84-71. Montana State’s Keljin Blevins contributed 12 points and 10 rebounds in the game. Omaha had a free throw rate of 0.321 (above their season average of 0.157). Montana State, meanwhile, held the Mavericks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.0 (below their season average of 27.8).
The Thunderbirds are hoping for a better outcome after their 92-64 loss to the Iowa Hawkeyes in their last outing. With 12 points, six rebounds and five assists, Jadon Cohee had a solid outing for Southern Utah. Iowa’s rebounding was their biggest strength. The Hawkeyes had more offensive rebounds (10 vs. three), defensive rebounds (38 vs. 26) and total rebounds (48 vs. 29).
The aggressive Southern Utah offense seems poised to dominate from the foul line. The Thunderbirds rank 69th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.279, while Montana State is among the NCAA’s most foul-prone squads (giving up a 329th-ranked FTA rate of 0.311).
Of Montana State’s 11 games that accepted bets, five have finished over the projected point total, while 5 of Southern Utah’s 9 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (6-6 for Montana State; 6-5 for Southern Utah), but the Thunderbirds have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Southern Utah is 8-1 ATS, while the Bobcats are 4-7.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Thunderbirds won the last matchup 109-105. The Thunderbirds played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.403 and a turnover percentage of 11.2. For those same stats, the Bobcats were 0.280 and 14.3, respectively.
Montana State Bobcats vs. Southern Utah Thunderbirds Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Montana State, ATS Winner – Montana State, O/U – Under
- The Bobcats rank 49th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while the Thunderbirds rank 78th (20.3).
- Montana State is 3-6 ATS on the road, while Southern Utah is 3-0 ATS at home.
- The Bobcats have 5 unders and 4 overs in 9 road games.
- The Thunderbirds have 2 overs and 1 under in 3 home games.
- Montana State ranks 33rd in assists allowed per game (11.0) while Southern Utah ranks 215th (16.5).
- The Bobcats rank 131st in rebounds per game (36.3) while the Thunderbirds rank 232nd in rebounds allowed per game (39.1).
- Southern Utah ranks 47th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while Montana State ranks 83rd (6.2).
- Southern Utah is 3-1 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Montana State is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- The Thunderbirds’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 4.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bobcats have scored an average of 67.0 points per game (8.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.8 points per game (0.9 above their season average).