The Omaha Mavericks (3-10) will be at home in Baxter Arena when they take on the Montana State Bobcats (6-5). Montana State opened as a 3-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 156.5 points. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 21, 2017.
Montana State Bobcats at Omaha Mavericks Free Preview
In the Bobcats last contest, they beat the Denver Pioneers, 79-65. Harald Frey was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 5-for-14 shooting. Montana State’s turnover percentage was their biggest strength over Denver. The Bobcats had a rate of 13.0 (better than their season average of 16.9), while the Pioneers posted a mark of 32.4 (above their season average of 21.5).
The Mavericks are hoping for a better outcome after their 109-64 loss to the No. 14 Kansas Jayhawks in their last contest. With 10 points and 10 rebounds, Omaha’s Zach Jackson had a good performance. Kansas had an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.7 (above their season average of 29.6). Omaha, meanwhile, had a free throw rate of 0.167 (above their season average of 0.156).
It will be a showdown of contrasting styles as the fast-breaking Mavericks (ranked 50th in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the more half-court-oriented Bobcats (157th in possessions per game).
Of Montana State’s 10 games that accepted bets, five have finished over the projected point total, while 8 of Omaha’s 13 games have finished under the O/U total. The Bobcats have the superior straight up (SU) record (6-5 vs. 3-10), but the Mavericks have the better against the spread (ATS) record (5-7-1 vs. 4-6).
Jackson has really been playing well over the last five games for Omaha, averaging 19.6 points and 8.4 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Mavericks won the sole game played against each other last season, 97-91. The Mavericks dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.473 and a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.645. The Bobcats were 0.214 and 0.543, respectively, for those same stats.
Montana State Bobcats vs. Omaha Mavericks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Omaha, ATS Winner – Omaha, O/U – Under
- Montana State is 3-5 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- Omaha is 1-1 ATS at home with 2 unders and 0 overs.
- Montana State ranks 22nd in assists allowed per game (10.5) while Omaha ranks 208th (16.3).
- The Bobcats average 35.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 143rd in the NCAA. The Mavericks rank 189th in rebounds allowed per game (37.0).
- Montana State ranks 160th in three pointers attempted per game (21.7) while Omaha ranks 184th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- Omaha is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Montana State is 2-2 ATS with 2 unders, 1 over and 1 push.
- The Mavericks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.4, down from 10.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bobcats have scored an average of 72.4 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average).