The Montana Grizzlies (7-5) can snap a five-game road losing streak when they challenge the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (3-10) at Walkup Skydome. Montana opened as a 10.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 143 points. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Montana Grizzlies at Northern Arizona Lumberjacks Betting Preview
In the Grizzlies last outing, they lost a tough one against the Washington Huskies, 66-63. With 19 points on 9-for-23 shooting, Ahmaad Rorie was the games high scorer. Washington did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (17-21; 81.0 percent). Montana, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 48.8 (above their season average of 35.0).
The Lumberjacks hope to keep it rolling after topping the Jacksonville Dolphins in their last contest, 83-72. Northern Arizona rallied around JoJo Anderson, who was the top scorer from either team with 26 points on 9-for-15 shooting. The Lumberjacks, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.434, had an absurd mark of 0.667, while the Dolphins had a free throw rate of 0.209 (below the 0.281 mark opponents have averaged against Northern Arizona this season).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Northern Arizona. Northern Arizona ranks 346th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 24.9 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Montana forces the 12th-most turnovers in the NCAA (24.9 percent). Additionally, the Grizzlies rank 26th in offensive rebounding percentage (36.3 percent), while the Lumberjacks rank 283rd in defensive rebounding percentage (68.4 percent).
Games involving these teams tend to finish over the projected point total. Montana games have finished over 60.0 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Northern Arizona games have finished over. The Grizzlies hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 7-5 SU and 6-4 ATS, while the Lumberjacks are 3-10 SU and 4-5 ATS.
Jamar Akoh has really been playing well over the last five games for Montana, averaging 14.2 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Grizzlies won the sole game played against each other last season, 76-59. The Grizzlies dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.204 and a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.602. For those same stats, the Lumberjacks recorded marks of 0.088 and 0.474, respectively.
Montana Grizzlies at Northern Arizona Lumberjacks ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Montana, ATS Winner – Montana, O/U – Over
- The Grizzlies rank 55th in steals per game (7.6) while the Lumberjacks rank 178th in steals allowed per game (8.7).
- Montana ranks 48th in blocks per game (4.6) while Northern Arizona ranks 132nd (2.9).
- Montana is 3-4 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Northern Arizona is 1-0 ATS at home with 1 over and 0 unders.
- Montana ranks ninth in assists allowed per game (9.9) while Northern Arizona ranks 219th (17.0).
- The Grizzlies rank first in three pointers allowed per game (13.8) while the Lumberjacks rank 173rd (23.4).
- Montana ranks 41st in rebounds allowed per game (31.8) while Northern Arizona ranks 179th (36.6).
- Northern Arizona is 1-2 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Montana is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Lumberjacks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.0, down from 13.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Grizzlies have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.8 points per game (2.5 below their season average).