The Monmouth Hawks (3-8) can put an end to a five-game road losing streak when they clash with the Yale Bulldogs (6-7) at John J. Lee Amphitheater. Yale opened as a 3.5-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 150 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, December 22, 2017.
Monmouth Hawks at Yale Bulldogs ATS Preview
The Hawks fell to the Princeton Tigers in their last outing, 69-58. Monmouth’s Deion Hammond had a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Princeton forced the Hawks into a turnover percentage of 27.3 (above their season average of 20.3). Monmouth, meanwhile, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (16-21; 76.2 percent).
In the Bulldogs last game, they were defeated by the Iona Gaels, 83-67. With 12 points and eight rebounds, Miye Oni had a solid outing for Yale. Iona had an effective field goal percentage of 0.657 (above their season average of 0.517). Yale, on the other hand, held the Gaels to an offensive rebounding percentage of 8.3 (below their season average of 25.4).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Yale figures to have a significant advantage. The sharp-shooting Bulldogs offense ranks 89th in the NCAA in that metric at 0.555, while the Monmouth defense is ranked 209th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.508). It will also be a matchup of conflicting styles as the fast-breaking Hawks rank 48th in possessions per game, while the more methodical Bulldogs rank 266th.
Of Monmouth’s 7 games with betting action, four have finished over the projected point total, while 3 of Yale’s 6 games have finished over the O/U total. The Bulldogs have the better straight up (SU) record (6-7 vs. 3-8), but the Hawks hold the sizable advantage against the spread (ATS) (2-5 vs. 2-4).
Monmouth Hawks vs. Yale Bulldogs Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Monmouth, ATS Winner – Monmouth, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 146th in steals per game (6.1) while the Hawks rank 167th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Yale ranks 75th in blocks per game (3.4) while Monmouth ranks 82nd in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Yale ranks 45th in assists per game (18.2) while Monmouth ranks 216th (11.3).
- The Bulldogs average 35.5 rebounds per game, which ranks 136th in the nation. The Hawks rank 187th in rebounds allowed per game (36.7).
- Yale ranks 152nd in three pointers attempted per game (26.2) while Monmouth ranks 193rd in three pointers allowed per game (23.9).
- The Bulldogs have been outscored by an average of 4.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Yale has defeated opponents by an average of 3.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.8 points per game (2.2 above their season average).