MAAC foes will collide when the Manhattan Jaspers (11-14, 6-7 MAAC) take on the Monmouth Hawks (8-16, 4-8 MAAC) at Draddy Gymnasium. Neither team is favored and the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 139.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Monmouth Hawks vs. Manhattan Jaspers Odds Preview
In the Hawks last matchup, they won big over the Iona Gaels, 72-50. Louie Pillari was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Monmouth played a perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.255 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (above their season average of 26.3). For those same stats, Iona recorded marks of 0.086 and 21.4, respectively.
The Jaspers are hoping for a better outcome after their 77-73 loss to the Rider Broncs in their last outing. Zane Waterman led Manhattan in scoring with 16 points on 5-for-14 shooting. Rider had an offensive rebounding percentage of 47.1 (above their season average of 33.6). Manhattan, on the other hand, forced the Broncs into a turnover percentage of 23.8 (above their season average of 15.2).
It will be a battle of conflicting tempos as the up-and-down Hawks will look to push the more half-court-oriented Jaspers. The Hawks rank 44th in possessions per game while the Jaspers are 286th.
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Monmouth games have finished over 60.0 percent of the time, while games involving Manhattan have gone under 73.9 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jaspers have a substantial advantage. They are 11-14 SU and 13-10 ATS, while the Hawks are 8-16 SU and 8-12 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 143 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 137.5. The Hawks won 77-66, covering as 6-point favorites. The Hawks played a nearly perfect game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.457 and a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.609. The Jaspers had marks of 0.200 and 0.500, respectively, for those same stats. Diago Quinn had a standout performance in the victory, producing 19 points and six rebounds.
Monmouth Hawks vs. Manhattan Jaspers Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Monmouth, ATS Winner – Monmouth, O/U – Under
- The Hawks rank 140th in steals per game (5.9) while the Jaspers rank 210th in steals allowed per game (7.7).
- Manhattan ranks 131st in assists per game (13.8) while Monmouth ranks 142nd in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- On the road, Monmouth is 5-7 ATS with 6 overs and 6 unders.
- At home, Manhattan is 3-3 ATS with 5 unders and 1 over.
- Manhattan ranks 30th in three pointers allowed per game (19.0) while Monmouth ranks 276th (26.0).
- The Hawks rank 105th in rebounds per game (36.5) while the Jaspers rank 257th (32.4).
- Manhattan ranks 13th in blocks allowed per game (2.3) while Monmouth ranks 139th (3.8).
- Manhattan is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Monmouth is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Jaspers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.0, up from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 83.4 points per game (7.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.0 points per game (2.0 above their season average).