MAAC foes will battle when the Siena Saints (8-20, 4-11 MAAC) square off against the Monmouth Hawks (9-18, 5-10 MAAC) at Times Union Center. Monmouth opened as a 3-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points. Action starts at 2 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 18, 2018.
Monmouth Hawks vs. Siena Saints Betting Preview
In the Hawks last outing, they got blown out by the Canisius Golden Griffins, 78-60. With 14 points on 5-for-12 shooting, Deion Hammond was Monmouth’s high scorer. Canisius forced the Hawks into a turnover percentage of 28.1 (above their season average of 18.9). Monmouth, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (8-11; 72.7 percent).
The Saints are trying to rebound after their 97-71 loss to the Rider Broncs in their last matchup. Jordan Horn led Siena in scoring with 18 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Rider had a turnover percentage of 10.4 (better than their season average of 15.2). Siena, on the other hand, had a better free throw rate (0.210 vs. 0.147).
The physical Monmouth offense looks poised to dominate from the foul line. The Hawks currently rank third in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.316, while Siena is among the nations most foul-prone squads (giving up a 323rd-ranked FTA rate of 0.296).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Monmouth have finished over 56.5 percent of the time, while 60.0 percent of Siena games have gone under. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Hawks have a significant advantage. They are 9-18 SU and 9-14 ATS, while the Saints are 8-20 SU and 7-13 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 123 points, well under the projected point total of 142.5. The Hawks won 67-56, covering as 9-point favorites. The Hawks dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.1 and a fantastic free throw rate of 0.500. The Saints put up marks of 18.7 and 0.327, respectively, for those same stats. Austin Tilghman was the games leading scorer with 20 points.
Monmouth Hawks at Siena Saints Betting Prediction
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Monmouth, ATS Winner – Monmouth, O/U – Over
- The Saints rank 114th in blocks per game (3.4) while the Hawks rank 150th in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Siena averages 36.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 123rd in the nation. Monmouth ranks 131st in rebounds allowed per game (34.4).
- Monmouth is 5-8 ATS on the road, while Siena is 4-5 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Hawks 13 road games, while 6 of the Saints 9 home games have gone under.
- Siena ranks 54th in three pointers allowed per game (19.8) while Monmouth ranks 274th (26.3).
- The Hawks rank 140th in steals per game (6.0) while the Saints rank 231st (4.7).
- Monmouth ranks 201st in assists per game (12.7) while Siena ranks 255th (11.4).
- Siena is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Monmouth is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Saints average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.6, up from 7.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (2.1 below their season average).