MAAC foes will collide when the Quinnipiac Bobcats (3-9) take on the Monmouth Hawks (4-8) at TD Bank Sports Center. Monmouth opened as a 7.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 146.5 points. Action starts at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Monmouth Hawks at Quinnipiac Bobcats Betting Preview
The last time the Hawks played, they won big over the Yale Bulldogs, 85-64. With 11 points, 15 assists and 14 rebounds, Austin Tilghman led the way for Monmouth with his zeroth triple-double this year. The Hawks, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.514, had a phenomenal mark of 0.654 and had a free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.294).
The Bobcats are hoping for a better outcome after their 80-73 loss to the Vermont Catamounts in their last game. With 12 points and nine assists, Rich Kelly played well for Quinnipiac. Vermont’s free throw rate was their biggest strength over Quinnipiac. The Catamounts had a rate of 0.212 (below their season average of 0.298), while the Bobcats posted a mark of 0.143 (below their season average of 0.289).
The physical Quinnipiac offense might be getting to the charity stripe a lot in this matchup. The Bobcats currently rank 74th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.276, while Monmouth ranks 222nd in FTA rate allowed (0.249). This contest should be a showdown of contrasting tempos. The up-tempo Hawks rank 54th in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Bobcats rank 289th.
Of Monmouth’s 8 games with betting action, four have finished over the O/U total, while 5 of Quinnipiac’s 8 games have finished under the O/U total. The Hawks hold the substantial advantage straight up (SU) (4-8 vs. 3-9), but the Bobcats have the better against the spread (ATS) record (4-3-1 vs. 3-5).
Cameron Young has been impressive over the last five games for Quinnipiac, averaging 17.0 points and 5.8 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Hawks won both contests played against each other last season. In the last contest, Monmouth won 95-76. The Hawks dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.527 and a free throw rate of 0.230. The Bobcats were 0.390 and 0.208, respectively, for those same stats.
Monmouth Hawks at Quinnipiac Bobcats Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Monmouth, ATS Winner – Monmouth, O/U – Under
- Monmouth is 3-3 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Quinnipiac is 1-1-1 ATS at home with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Quinnipiac ranks 27th in three pointers attempted per game (27.5) while Monmouth ranks 210th (19.4).
- The Hawks average 37.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 94th in the nation. The Bobcats rank 177th in rebounds allowed per game (36.5).
- Quinnipiac is 2-0 ATS with 1 over and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Monmouth is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bobcats average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.8, up from 5.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 76.8 points per game (2.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 79.0 points per game (1.6 above their season average).