MAAC foes will clash when the Niagara Purple Eagles (9-8, 2-2 MAAC) go head-to-head against the Monmouth Hawks (5-10, 1-2 MAAC) at Gallagher Center. Neither team is favored and the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 159.5 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018.
Monmouth Hawks at Niagara Purple Eagles Betting Preview
The Hawks were victorious over the Manhattan Jaspers in their last outing, 77-66. Diago Quinn led Monmouth in scoring with 19 points on 6-for-7 shooting. Monmouth played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.457 (above their season average of 0.293) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.609 (above their season average of 0.524). For those same stats, Manhattan was 0.200 and 0.500, respectively.
The last time the Purple Eagles played, they defeated the Marist Red Foxes, 86-70. Niagara was lifted by Matt Scott, who was the game’s high scorer with 23 points on 7-for-22 shooting. Niagara played a flawless game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.8 (better than their season average of 12.6) and a free throw rate of 0.314 (above their season average of 0.285). Marist was 17.0 and 0.246, respectively, for those same stats.
Niagara should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Niagara ranks eighth in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.4 percent), while Monmouth forces the 70th-fewest turnovers (17.4 percent).
Marvin Prochet has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Niagara, averaging 16.8 points, 10.6 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Hawks won all three meetings last season. In the last contest, Monmouth won 84-59. Monmouth did an excellent job of making free throws (20-23; 87.0 percent). Niagara, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (10.9 vs. 16.8).
Monmouth Hawks at Niagara Purple Eagles Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Monmouth, ATS Winner – Monmouth, O/U – Over
- The Hawks rank 187th in assists per game (12.3) while the Purple Eagles rank 223rd in assists allowed per game (16.6).
- Niagara ranks 59th in blocks per game (4.2) while Monmouth ranks 79th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Niagara ranks 80th in three pointers attempted per game (24.3) while Monmouth ranks 234th (18.5).
- The Purple Eagles rank seventh in steals allowed per game (4.4) while the Hawks rank 158th (7.5).
- Monmouth ranks 132nd in rebounds allowed per game (35.1) while Niagara ranks 259th (40.2).
- The Purple Eagles average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.2, down from 2.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 72.0 points per game (1.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.8 points per game (5.9 below their season average).