The Southern Illinois Salukis (17-10, 9-5 MVC) will attempt to extend a six-game home winning streak when they go head-to-head with the Missouri State Bears (17-10, 7-7 MVC) at SIU Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 137 points with Southern Illinois set as a 3-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
Missouri State Bears at Southern Illinois Salukis ATS Preview
The Bears were victorious over the Evansville Aces in their last contest, 72-55. With 11 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists, Missouri State’s Alize Johnson played well. The Bears, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3, had a phenomenal mark of 47.2 and held the Aces to an effective field goal percentage of 0.412 (below their season average of 0.511).
The last time the Salukis played, they defeated the Bradley Braves, 74-57. Southern Illinois was lifted by Kavion Pippen, who was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 10-for-12 shooting. The Salukis made 14 of their 19 free throws (73.7 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.652 (above their season average of 0.525).
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the nations slowest-paced teams battle. Southern Illinois ranks 290th in possessions per game (67.3) and Missouri State is 321st (66.1).
Of Missouri State’s 24 games with betting action, 15 have finished under the projected point total, while 11 of Southern Illinois 22 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have solid straight up (SU) records (17-10 for Missouri State; 17-10 for Southern Illinois), but the Bears have the advantage against the spread (ATS). Missouri State is 10-14 ATS, while the Salukis are 9-11-2.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Bears, it’s been Johnson, who has averaged 18.0 points, 8.8 rebounds, 1.2 steals and 1.2 blocks, while the Salukis have gotten great contributions from Pippen (15.0 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.2 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 156 points in that game, which was well over the projected point total of 135.5. The Salukis won 79-77, covering as 6-point underdogs. Southern Illinois effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Missouri State. The Salukis had a rate of 0.723 while the Bears posted a mark of 0.575. Johnson played a big role with 29 points and 12 rebounds.
Missouri State Bears vs. Southern Illinois Salukis Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Southern Illinois, ATS Winner – Southern Illinois, O/U – Under
- The Bears rank 46th in blocks per game (4.3) while the Salukis rank 96th (3.5).
- Missouri State ranks 25th in assists allowed per game (11.0) while Southern Illinois ranks 66th (12.1).
- Missouri State is 6-8 ATS on the road, while Southern Illinois is 5-4-1 ATS at home.
- The Bears have 8 unders and 6 overs in 14 road games.
- In 10 home games, the Salukis have 7 unders and 3 overs.
- Missouri State ranks 33rd in rebounds per game (39.1) while Southern Illinois ranks 252nd (33.1).
- The Salukis rank 40th in steals per game (7.5) while the Bears rank 219th (5.0).
- Missouri State ranks 186th in three pointers attempted per game (21.0) while Southern Illinois ranks 269th (18.2).
- Southern Illinois is 3-1-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Missouri State is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Salukis average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 2.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bears have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (3.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.8 points per game (9.0 above their season average).