The Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils (0-10) are off to a slow start and will try to get their first win when they go head-to-head with the Grand Canyon Antelopes (7-3) at Grand Canyon University Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils vs. Grand Canyon Antelopes Betting Preview
The Delta Devils lost big to the Akron Zips in their last outing, 81-63. Mississippi Valley State’s Dante Scott had a good performance, leading the team in scoring with 14 points on 4-for-13 shooting. Akron made 12 of their 28 three pointers (42.9 percent). Mississippi Valley State, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 12.2 (better than their season average of 17.5).
In the Antelopes last matchup, they were dismantled by the Boise State Broncos, 85-80. With 15 points and 12 rebounds, Keonta Vernon played well for Grand Canyon. Boise State had a free throw rate of 0.407 (above their season average of 0.201). Grand Canyon, on the other hand, held the Broncos to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.9 (below their season average of 27.8).
Grand Canyon could dominate on defense as they battle against one of the nations worst offenses. The Antelopes rank 16th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.437), while Mississippi Valley State is 331st in effective field goal percentage (0.417).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Antelopes won the sole game last season, 72-62. The Antelopes dominated every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.392 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.2. For those same stats, the Delta Devils were 0.105 and 22.9, respectively.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils vs. Grand Canyon Antelopes Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Grand Canyon, ATS Winner – Grand Canyon, O/U – Under
- The Antelopes rank 37th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Delta Devils rank 142nd (5.8).
- Grand Canyon averages 7.1 steals per game, which ranks 75th in the NCAA. Mississippi Valley State ranks 157th in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- Grand Canyon ranks 45th in three pointers attempted per game (26.0) while Mississippi Valley State ranks 260th (15.9).
- The Antelopes rank 10th in assists allowed per game (9.9) while the Delta Devils rank 210th (19.2).
- Grand Canyon ranks 68th in rebounds per game (38.3) while Mississippi Valley State ranks 234th in rebounds allowed per game (39.4).
- The Antelopes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.6, down from 10.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Delta Devils have scored an average of 60.6 points per game (2.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.6 points per game (1.5 below their season average).