The Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils (2-22, 2-9 SWAC) can put an end to a 17-game road losing streak when they challenge the Alcorn State Braves (7-17, 3-8 SWAC) at David L. Whitney Gymnasium. Tip-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils at Alcorn State Braves Free Preview
In the Delta Devils last contest, they defeated the Alabama A&M Bulldogs, 77-67. Jordan Evans was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Mississippi Valley State played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 5.4 (better than their season average of 15.7) and a free throw rate of 0.283 (above their season average of 0.187). For those same stats, Alabama A&M was 16.3 and 0.103, respectively.
The Braves are trying to rebound after their 81-72 loss to the Grambling State Tigers in their last outing. A.J. Mosby was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 9-for-19 shooting. Grambling State held the Braves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 9.8 (below their season average of 27.5). Alcorn State, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 12.5 (better than their season average of 18.5).
It could be a sloppy game for the Alcorn State offense. Alcorn State ranks 285th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.8 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Mississippi Valley State forces the 79th-most turnovers in the nation (21.0 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Braves won 77-63. The Braves played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.525 and an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.700. The Delta Devils were 0.246 and 0.430, respectively, for those same stats. Mosby was the games leading scorer with 23 points.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils at Alcorn State Braves Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Mississippi Valley State, ATS Winner – Mississippi Valley State, O/U – Under
- The Braves average 2.5 blocks per game, which ranks 178th in the NCAA. The Delta Devils rank 196th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Alcorn State ranks 123rd in three pointers attempted per game (22.8) while Mississippi Valley State ranks 277th (17.3).
- The Braves rank 207th in rebounds per game (33.9) while the Delta Devils rank 292nd in rebounds allowed per game (40.9).
- Alcorn State ranks 209th in assists per game (12.3) while Mississippi Valley State ranks 273rd (9.5).
- The Braves have outscored opponents by an average of 1.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Alcorn State has been defeated by an average of 6.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Delta Devils have scored an average of 80.0 points per game (16.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 81.6 points per game (2.3 above their season average).