The Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils (2-23, 2-10 SWAC) will attempt to put an end to an 18-game road losing streak when they meet the Southern University Jaguars (11-14, 7-5 SWAC) at F.G. Clark Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 12, 2018.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils vs. Southern University Jaguars Betting Preview
The Delta Devils were beaten by the Alcorn State Braves in their last outing, 94-90. With 25 points on 7-for-19 shooting, Jordan Evans was Mississippi Valley State’s high scorer. Alcorn State did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (29-34; 85.3 percent). Mississippi Valley State, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.5 (above their season average of 28.6).
The last time the Jaguars played, they beat the UAPB Golden Lions, 70-62. Southern University’s Jared Sam played a pivotal role with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Southern University dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 48.8 (above their season average of 32.1) and a free throw rate of 0.188 (matching their season average). For those same stats, UAPB was 20.7 and 0.143, respectively.
It could be a sloppy game for the Southern University offense. Southern University ranks 202nd in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.1 percent), while the pesky defense of Mississippi Valley State forces the 82nd-most turnovers in the NCAA (20.9 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Jaguars won 78-70. The Jaguars dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.518 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8. For those same stats, the Delta Devils were 0.329 and 26.4, respectively. Evans was the top overall scorer in the game with 41 points.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils at Southern University Jaguars Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Southern University, ATS Winner – Southern University, O/U – Over
- The Delta Devils rank 275th in three pointers attempted per game (17.7) while the Jaguars rank 290th (16.4).
- Southern University averages 38.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 42nd in the nation. Mississippi Valley State ranks 286th in rebounds allowed per game (40.6).
- The Jaguars rank 115th in assists allowed per game (13.0) while the Delta Devils rank 239th (15.6).
- Southern University averages 3.2 blocks per game, which ranks 127th in the nation. Mississippi Valley State ranks 197th in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- The Jaguars have outscored opponents by an average of 5.2 points in their last five games. On the season, Southern University has lost by an average of 3.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Delta Devils have scored an average of 82.6 points per game (18.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 81.8 points per game (1.9 above their season average).