SEC foes will clash when the Vanderbilt Commodores (9-16, 3-9 SEC) meet the Mississippi State Bulldogs (18-7, 6-6 SEC) at Memorial Gym. Vanderbilt opened as a 1-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Mississippi State Bulldogs vs. Vanderbilt Commodores ATS Preview
The Bulldogs were beaten by the Missouri Tigers in their last outing, 89-85. Lamar Peters put together a solid performance for Mississippi State, leading the team in scoring with 22 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Missouri did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (23-28; 82.1 percent). Mississippi State, on the other hand, held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.1 (below their season average of 33.7).
The last time the Commodores played, they were beaten by the Arkansas Razorbacks, 72-54. With eight points and nine rebounds, Vanderbilt’s Maxwell Evans put together a solid performance. Arkansas held the Commodores to an effective field goal percentage of 0.277 (below their season average of 0.514). Vanderbilt, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (23-29; 79.3 percent).
Vanderbilt might have trouble finding the bottom of the net as they go head-to-head against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Mississippi State ranks 19th in defensive efficiency, while the Commodores rank 143rd in offensive efficiency.
Of Mississippi State’s 20 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished under the O/U total, while 11 of Vanderbilt’s 22 games have finished over the O/U total. The Bulldogs hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 18-7 SU and 9-11 ATS, while the Commodores are 9-16 SU and 6-16 ATS.
Nick Weatherspoon has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Mississippi State, averaging 14.2 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 142 points in that game, which was just over the projected point total of 138.5. The Bulldogs won 80-62, covering as 5-point favorites. The Bulldogs played a flawless game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 29.7 and a fantastically low turnover percentage of 5.4. For those same stats, the Commodores recorded marks of 10.3 and 14.9, respectively. Aric Holman put up a double-double in the victory with 18 points and 14 rebounds.
Mississippi State Bulldogs at Vanderbilt Commodores Betting Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Vanderbilt, ATS Winner – Vanderbilt, O/U – Over
- The Bulldogs rank 168th in assists per game (13.3) while the Commodores rank 228th (12.0).
- Mississippi State ranks 65th in rebounds per game (38.0) while Vanderbilt ranks 116th in rebounds allowed per game (34.1).
- On the road, Mississippi State is 2-6 ATS with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- Vanderbilt is 3-8 ATS at home with 7 overs and 4 unders.
- Vanderbilt ranks 12th in three pointers allowed per game (17.5) while Mississippi State ranks 199th (23.1).
- The Bulldogs rank 80th in steals per game (6.9) while the Commodores rank 226th (4.9).
- Mississippi State averages 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks 18th in the nation. Vanderbilt ranks 163rd in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- Vanderbilt is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Mississippi State is 5-0 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Commodores average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.8, up from 1.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.4 points per game (3.2 above their season average).