The Southern Miss Golden Eagles (7-5) and the Mississippi State Bulldogs (10-1) clash at Mississippi Coliseum. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 23, 2017.
Mississippi State Bulldogs vs. Southern Miss Golden Eagles ATS Preview
The last time the Bulldogs played, they beat the Little Rock Trojans, 64-48. Quinndary Weatherspoon was the games high scorer with 21 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Mississippi State played a flawless game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.268 (above their season average of 0.203) and a turnover percentage of 15.0 (better than their season average of 18.1). Little Rock had marks of 0.074 and 26.4, respectively, for those same stats.
The Golden Eagles are hoping for a better outcome after their 98-45 loss to the No. 24 Florida State Seminoles in their last matchup. Anfernee Hampton was Southern Miss leading scorer with eight points on 4-for-9 shooting. Florida State made 19 of their 36 three pointers (52.8 percent). Southern Miss, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (5-6; 83.3 percent).
Based on each teams statistical profile, ball security could play a key role in this battle. Southern Miss commits the sixth-fewest miscues in the NCAA (turnover percentage of 14.2 percent), while the pesky defense of Mississippi State forces the 25th-most (opponents turnover percentage of 24.0 percent). Moreover, the Bulldogs, who rank 271st in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.208), will face off against the Golden Eagles, who rank 56th in opponents FTA rate (0.186).
Weatherspoon has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Mississippi State, averaging 15.0 points, 6.2 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Bulldogs won the only contest played against each other last season, 86-44. Mississippi State made 17 of their 29 three pointers (58.6 percent). Southern Miss was, on the other hand, just 5-26 (19.2 percent).
Mississippi State Bulldogs vs. Southern Miss Golden Eagles Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mississippi State, ATS Winner – Mississippi State, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs rank 16th in assists allowed per game (10.3) while the Golden Eagles rank 109th (13.1).
- Southern Miss allows the fewest steals per game (3.7) while Mississippi State ranks 57th (5.6).
- Mississippi State ranks 40th in rebounds per game (39.8) while Southern Miss ranks 239th (32.5).
- The Bulldogs rank 10th in blocks per game (6.3) while the Golden Eagles rank 206th (1.5).
- Mississippi State averages 23.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 95th in the NCAA. Southern Miss ranks 247th in three pointers allowed per game (26.6).
- The Golden Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.0, up from 4.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 72.4 points per game (3.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 59.0 points per game (1.8 below their season average).