Matching up for the fourth and final time this year, the Minnesota Wild and the Dallas Stars meet at the American Airlines Center for a divisional showdown. Fox Sports Southwest Plus will showcase the matchup, which gets going at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 31.
Minnesota Wild at Dallas Stars Odds
Minnesota (-115) is currently favored over Dallas (-105), and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 6 goals (-105 for the over, -115 for the under).
Minnesota is 43-34 straight up (SU) and has earned 1.1 units for moneyline bettors this season. 39 of its outings have gone over the total, while 34 have gone under and just four have pushed. As an away team in 2017-18, the Wild are 17-20 SU.
Minnesota has converted on 20.4 percent of its power play chances this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 16th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 80.4 percent of its penalties.
For the team as a whole, the Wild have been whistled for penalties 3.8 times per game this season, and 2.8 per game over its last five road outings. The teams been forced to defend opponent power plays just 6.4 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Averaging 27.1 saves per game with a .917 save percentage, Devan Dubnyk (34-22-7) has been the top option in goal for Minnesota this season. If head coach Bruce Boudreau decides to rest him, however, Minnesota may turn to Alex Stalock (10-17-3 record, .913 save percentage, 2.76 goals against average).
Eric Staal and Mikael Granlund will both be relied on to produce for the visiting Wild. Staal has 74 points on 40 goals and 34 assists, and has recorded multiple points 17 times. Granlund has 20 goals and 43 assists to his name (and has logged at least one point in 39 games).
On the other side of the ice, Dallas is 39-39 straight up (SU) and has lost 14.7 units for moneyline bettors this year. 39 of its outings have gone over the total, while 37 have gone under and just two have pushed. This season, the teams 25-15 SU at home.
The Stars have converted on just 19.8 percent of their power play chances this season, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 14th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 81.2 percent of all opponent power plays.
Stars players have been penalized 4.2 times per game in total this season, and 3.2 per game over their last five at home. The team has been forced to defend opponent power plays just 8.0 minutes per game over their last five outings.
Ben Bishop (24.8 saves per game) has been the top selection in goal for the Stars. Bishop has 26 wins, 27 losses, and six OT losses to his credit and has recorded a 2.49 goals against average and a .916 save percentage this season.
The Stars offense will be led by Tyler Seguin (39 goals, 35 assists).
Minnesota Wild at Dallas Stars Free Picks,
NHL Tip: SU Winner – Stars, O/U – Under
- Five of Dallas last ten outings have been decided by two or more goals. The team is 0-5 overall in those games.
- The Stars are 18-20 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Wild are 20-14 SU in games where they spend more time in the box than their opponent.
- Minnesota is 3-3 in games decided by a shootout this season while Dallas is 4-3 in shootouts.
- Dallas may hold the upper hand if this one comes down to the wire. The teams 16-13 in games decided by one goal, while Minnesota is 12-14 in such games.
- The under has hit in three of Dallas last five games.
- Dallas has averaged 7.4 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 8.4 giveaways per game (ranked 10th overall).
- Minnesota is ranked fourth this season with just 6.2 giveaways per game. That figures trended higher, as it’s averaged 7.0 giveaways over its last 10 games and 8.2 giveaways over its last five.
- The Stars this season have handed the 11th-most hits in the league (22.9 per game).