Kevin Fiala, Eric Staal, and the Minnesota Wild will face off against Pierre-Luc Dubois, Gustav Nyquist, and the Columbus Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena in an East-West showdown. The match gets started at 7 p.m. ET on Friday, February 28, and it can be seen live on Fox Sports North.
Minnesota Wild at Columbus Blue Jackets Odds
The Blue Jackets (-130) are tabbed as the favorites over the Wild (+110) and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 6 goals (-110 for the over, -110 for the under).
Columbus is 31-34 straight up (SU) and has recorded -1.0 unit for moneyline bettors this year. That early-season winning percentage is a slide from what the team managed during last year’s regular season (47-35). Of the team’s 65 games this season, 26 have gone under the total, while 26 have gone over and just one has pushed. The team is 19-15 SU at home this season.
The Blue Jackets have converted on just 16.2 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a mark that places them in the bottom-5 overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 12th overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 81.6 percent of all penalties.
Sporting a .914 save percentage and 25.4 saves per game, Joonas Korpisalo (18-15-5) has been the principal option in goal for the Jackets this season. If Columbus decides to rest him, however, the team could turn to Elvis Merzlikins (13-19-19 record, .922 save percentage, 2.39 goals against average).
Minnesota has lost 2.0 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year and is currently 31-32 straight up (SU). Through 63 regular season contests, 30 of its games have gone over the total, while 27 have gone under the total and just five have pushed. The Wild are 13-17 SU as the away team this season.
The Wild have converted on 21.0 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 27th overall and it’s successfully defended 76.5 percent of all penalties.
Alex Stalock (25.2 saves per game) has been the primary choice in goal for Minnesota. Stalock has 18 wins, 15 losses, and four OT losses to his credit, while registering a .908 save percentage and 2.68 goals against average this year.
Minnesota Wild vs. Columbus Blue Jackets Betting Predictions
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Blue Jackets, O/U – Under
- The Wild are 10-11 SU in games where they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Blue Jackets are 9-11 SU when they serve more minutes than their opponent.
- Two of Minnesota’s last ten games have been decided by a shootout. The team is 1-1 in those games and 2-3 overall in shootouts this season.
- For both of these clubs, the total has gone over in each of their last five matchups.
- Minnesota skaters have averaged 8.8 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 6.7 giveaways per game (the second-fewest in the league).
- Columbus is ranked 9th this season with 8.7 giveaways per game. That figure has trended down, however, as it’s averaged 6.6 giveaways over its last 10 games and 6.2 giveaways over its last five.