The Washington Wizards (38-29) will be at home in Capital One Arena when they take on the Minnesota Timberwolves (39-29). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 216 points with Washington set as a 4-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Washington Wizards ATS Preview
The last time the Timberwolves played, they beat the Golden State Warriors, 109-103. Karl-Anthony Towns was Minnesota’s high scorer with 31 points on 13-for-24 shooting. Minnesota played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 7.9 (better than their season average of 10.9) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.495 (below their season average of 0.526). Golden State had marks of 11.5 and 0.462, respectively, for those same stats.
The Wizards are trying to rebound after their 129-102 loss to the Miami Heat in their last game. Jodie Meeks was the game’s high scorer with 23 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Miami had a turnover percentage of 9.3 (better than their season average of 13.0). Washington, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (27-34; 79.4 percent).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Washington. Washington ranks 16th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 14.0 percent), while the gambling defense of Minnesota forces the third-most turnovers in the NBA (15.0 percent). Moreover, the Timberwolves are among the league’s elite at getting to the line, ranking fourth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.227). The Wizards, meanhwile, rank 24th at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents’ FTA rate of 0.216.
Of Minnesota’s 68 games, 37 have finished over the projected point total, while 36 of Washington’s 67 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have very similar records straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS). The Timberwolves are 39-29 SU and 31-34-3 ATS, while the Wizards are 38-29 SU and 31-34-2 ATS.
Jeff Teague has really been playing well over the last five games for Minnesota, averaging 19.2 points, 5.8 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 181 points, well under the projected point total of 209. The Wizards won 92-89, covering as 5-point underdogs. The Wizards played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinarily low turnover percentage of 7.2 and a free throw rate of 0.120. The Timberwolves recorded marks of 9.9 and 0.106, respectively, for those same stats. Otto Porter Jr. was the game’s leading scorer with 22 points.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Washington Wizards Betting Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Over
- The Wizards rank fifth in assists per game (24.7) while the Timberwolves rank 19th in assists allowed per game (23.8).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.7) while Washington ranks 13th (42.7).
- Minnesota ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.1) while Washington ranks 18th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.9).
- On the road, Minnesota is 14-18-2 ATS with 18 overs and 16 unders.
- Washington is 11-20-2 ATS at home with 16 overs, 15 unders and 2 pushes.
- Minnesota is 16-4 when they allow below 100 points, while Washington is 18-3.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Timberwolves are 37-19 and the Wizards are 35-16.
- The Wizards rank 14th in fast break points per game (11.6) while the Timberwolves rank 26th (9.6).
- Minnesota averages 13.9 second chance points per game, which ranks third in the league. Washington ranks 23rd in second chance points allowed per game (13.2).
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in points in the paint per game (48.7) while the Wizards rank 23rd (42.4).
- The Wizards rank 23rd in three pointers attempted per game (26.4) while the Timberwolves rank 29th (22.4).
- Minnesota ranks first in steals allowed per game (6.3) while Washington ranks 15th (7.7).
- Washington is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Wizards have been outscored by an average of 2.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Washington has defeated opponents by an average of 1.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 108.6 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 108.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average).