The San Antonio Spurs, 2.5-point favorites, welcome the Minnesota Timberwolves to AT&T Center to get their seasons going. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 210.5 points and action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, October 17, 2018.
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. San Antonio Spurs ATS Odds
Following a 47-35 regular season campaign, Minnesota went to the playoffs as the eight seed in the Western Conference last season. They lost in the First Round to the Houston Rockets in five games. San Antonio, meanwhile, was the seven seed in the Western Conference last season and was defeated in the First Round by the Golden State Warriors in five games. The Spurs went 47-35 in the regular season.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the league’s slowest-paced teams clash. San Antonio ranked 30th in possessions per game (96.8) and Minnesota was 22nd (98.0) in the 2017-18 season. Moreover, the Timberwolves’ fourth-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 111.2) will go head-to-head against the Spurs’ fourth-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 103.5).
The Timberwolves had a respectable 47-35 straight up (SU) record last season, but were just 37-45 against the spread (ATS). Games including Minnesota had a slight tendency to finish over the O/U total (52.4 percent).
The Spurs, on the other hand, owned records of 47-35 SU and 50-46-2 ATS last season. Similar to Minnesota, games including San Antonio finished over the O/U total 56.1 percent of the time.
The Spurs took this series last year, winning two out of three games. In the last matchup, San Antonio won 117-101. The Spurs’ 4.7 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Timberwolves, who had a mark of 15.1.
Minnesota Timberwolves at San Antonio Spurs Odds Pick
Free NBA Pick: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2017-Present):
- The Spurs rank 23rd in fast break points per game (10.1) while the Timberwolves rank 25th (9.7).
- San Antonio ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (26.4) while Minnesota ranks 22nd (30.4).
- The Timberwolves rank first in steals allowed per game (6.5) while the Spurs rank 12th (7.5).
- San Antonio averages 13.1 second chance points per game, which ranks ninth in the NBA. Minnesota ranks 20th in second chance points allowed per game (13.1).
- Minnesota averages 17.1 points off turnovers per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. San Antonio ranks eighth in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.0).
- The Spurs rank fifth in blocks per game (5.5) while the Timberwolves rank 23rd (4.1).
- The Timberwolves rank second in rebounds allowed per game (41.9) while the Spurs rank 13th (42.8).
- San Antonio averages 22.6 assists per game, which ranks 18th in the NBA. Minnesota ranks 20th in assists allowed per game (23.7).
- Minnesota ranks fourth in points in the paint per game (49.2) while San Antonio ranks 22nd (43.5).
- Minnesota is 19-4 when they allow less than 100 points, while San Antonio is 33-11.
- In games where they reach 100 points, the Timberwolves are 45-25 and the Spurs are 37-15.