The Portland Trail Blazers (25-22) can lengthen a six-game home winning streak when they take on the Minnesota Timberwolves (31-18) at Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Portland Trail Blazers ATS Preview
The Timberwolves were victorious over the Los Angeles Clippers in their last matchup, 126-118. Andrew Wiggins was the games leading scorer with 40 points on 16-for-28 shooting. Minnesota played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.363 (above their season average of 0.228) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.0 (above their season average of 25.1). For those same stats, Los Angeles was 0.179 and 21.6, respectively.
In the Trail Blazers last game, they were topped by the Denver Nuggets, 104-101. With 19 points and 12 rebounds, Jusuf Nurkic had a good performance for Portland. Denver did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (26-33; 78.8 percent). Portland, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.2 vs. 13.3).
Portland could have difficulty getting to the foul line in this battle. The Trail Blazers rank 17th in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.190, while Minnesota ranks seventh in FTA rate allowed (0.178). Additionally, the Timberwolves rank second in turnover percentage (12.4 percent), while the Trail Blazers rank 27th in opponents turnover percentage (13.2 percent).
Of Minnesota’s 49 games, 25 have finished over the projected point total, while 28 of Portland’s 47 games have finished under the projected point total. The Timberwolves have the better straight up (SU) record (31-18 vs. 25-22) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (24-23-2 vs. 21-21-5).
These two teams have already met twice this year, with the Timberwolves winning both. In the most recent matchup, Karl-Anthony Towns had 20 points and 11 rebounds and the Timberwolves defeated the Trail Blazers 120-103, covering as 6-point favorites. The two teams combined for 223 points, which was 10 points above the projected point total of 213 points. The Timberwolves dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.338 and a turnover percentage of 10.4. The Trail Blazers recorded marks of 0.177 and 16.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Portland Trail Blazers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Timberwolves, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Over
- The Trail Blazers rank fifth in blocks per game (5.2) while the Timberwolves rank 23rd (4.2).
- Minnesota ranks third in second chance points per game (14.5) while Portland ranks 12th (12.8).
- Portland ranks fourth in three pointers allowed per game (26.0) while Minnesota ranks 18th (29.3).
- Minnesota ranks sixth in points in the paint per game (48.1) while Portland ranks seventh in points allowed in the paint per game (42.0).
- Minnesota is 12-11-1 ATS on the road, while Portland is 8-12-3 ATS at home.
- In 24 road games, the Timberwolves have 12 overs and 12 unders.
- In 23 home games, the Trail Blazers have 15 unders and 8 overs.
- Minnesota is 14-4 when they allow less than 100 points, while Portland is 15-4.
- The Timberwolves are 29-9 when they score above 100 points, while the Trail Blazers are 20-12.
- The Timberwolves rank 19th in fast break points per game (10.0) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (6.5).
- Minnesota ranks second in points off turnovers per game (18.8) while Portland ranks 25th (15.0).
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in steals per game (8.9) while the Trail Blazers rank 25th (6.9).
- The Timberwolves rank fourth in rebounds allowed per game (41.1) while the Trail Blazers rank 13th (42.6).
- Portland ranks first in assists allowed per game (19.8) while Minnesota ranks 22nd (23.8).
- Portland is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Trail Blazers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, up from 1.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 112.2 points per game (3.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 110.8 points per game (5.5 above their season average).