Offense meets defense when the Minnesota Timberwolves (13-9) head to Oklahoma City to take on the Thunder (8-12). Oklahoma City is a 5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 211 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 1, 2017, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Minnesota Timberwolves at Oklahoma City Thunder Betting Preview
The Timberwolves had no trouble getting past the New Orleans Pelicans in their last game, 120-102. Andrew Wiggins was the top scorer from either team with 28 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Minnesota dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.210 (below their season average of 0.233) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 25.8). For those same stats, New Orleans was 0.119 and 19.0, respectively.
In the Thunder’s last matchup, they were blown out by the Orlando Magic, 121-108. Russell Westbrook was Oklahoma City’s high scorer with 37 points on 11-for-23 shooting. Orlando was lights out from beyond the arc (13-30; 43.3 percent). Oklahoma City, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5 (above their season average of 24.2).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Oklahoma City ranks 21st in possessions per game (98.9) and Minnesota is 23rd (98.7). Furthermore, the fifth-ranked offense of the Timberwolves (offensive efficiency of 109.2) will square off against the third-ranked defense of the Thunder (defensive efficiency of 101.1).
Of Minnesota’s 22 games, 11 have finished under the O/U total, while 13 of Oklahoma City’s 20 games have finished under the projected point total. The Timberwolves come into this game with much better straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 13-9 SU and 9-11-2 ATS, while the Thunder are 8-12 SU and 7-12-1 ATS.
Westbrook has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Oklahoma City, averaging 25.2 points, 11.6 rebounds, 10.0 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
These two teams have met twice already this year, with the Timberwolves winning both. Karl-Anthony Towns scored a game-high 33 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Timberwolves defeated the Thunder 119-116, covering as 2-point underdogs. He also put up 19 rebounds. The two teams combined for 235 points, which was 17 points above the projected point total of 218 points. Minnesota had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (41.5 vs. 28.9). Oklahoma City, meanwhile, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.547 vs. 0.535).
Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Oklahoma City Thunder Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Timberwolves, O/U – Under
- The Thunder rank ninth in three pointers attempted per game (31.2) while the Timberwolves rank 29th (23.0).
- Minnesota ranks third in rebounds allowed per game (40.9) while Oklahoma City ranks 11th (42.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.9) while Minnesota ranks 25th (3.5).
- Minnesota is 5-5-1 ATS on the road with 6 overs and 5 unders.
- At home, Oklahoma City is 5-3-1 ATS with 6 unders and 3 overs.
- When holding opponents below 100 points, Oklahoma City is 7-4 and Minnesota is 7-1.
- The Thunder are 7-5 when they reach 100 points, while the Timberwolves are 12-5.
- The Thunder rank fifth in second chance points per game (13.9) while the Timberwolves rank 13th in second chance points allowed per game (11.6).
- Minnesota ranks sixth in points in the paint per game (47.2) while Oklahoma City ranks 27th (39.6).
- The Thunder rank first in points off turnovers per game (21.2) while the Timberwolves rank 22nd in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.2).
- The Timberwolves rank fifth in steals allowed per game (7.1) while the Thunder rank 12th (7.8).
- Oklahoma City averages 13.8 fast break points per game, which ranks sixth in the league. Minnesota ranks 27th in fast break points allowed per game (13.6).
- Oklahoma City is 1-4 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Minnesota is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Thunder have been outscored by an average of 4.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Oklahoma City has defeated opponents by an average of 3.0 points.
- During their last five games, the Timberwolves have scored an average of 109.8 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 105.8 points per game (1.4 below their season average).